Topic: Linux Development

Does anyone have a guide to developing chumby widgets on the linux platform?

I have been trying using actionscript and mxmlc.  I thought I'd succeeded but when I tried to upload my app, chumby.com says:

* Movie_data must be Flash version 8 file or earlier

and when I try and compile for that version I get

mxmlc --target-player 8

Error: Invalid version specified, '8'

and it seems that 9 is the minimum version

michael@michael-desktop:~/as$ mxmlc --help target-player
Adobe Flex Compiler (mxmlc)
Version 4.1.0 build 16076
Copyright (c) 2004-2009 Adobe Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

-target-player <version>
    specifies the version of the player the application is targeting.
    Features requiring a later version will not be compiled into the
    application. The minimum value supported is "9.0.0".

So I appear to be rather stuck! Are there any examples of developing using actionscript on linux?  I'd really like to see it.

Thanks

Re: Linux Development

I found this link for an alternative linux compiler

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … Using_Ming

But, although the sample on the page works, Pendulum doesn't:

$ makeswf -r 12 -s 320x240 -v 8 Pendulum.as
Output file name: out.swf
Output compression level: 9
Output SWF version: 8
Preprocessing Pendulum.as... done.
Parser error: writing empty block

Compiling `out.swf.frame0.pp'... failed:
  import MCUtil
        ^
  Line 1:  Reason: 'syntax error, unexpected IDENTIFIER, expecting '.' or '[''

- so I'm guessing this compiler doesn't support 'import'

What you want is MTASC, which compiles Actionscript 2.  I think ming only supports AS1, and mxmlc only supports AS3.

You should be able to find or build an MTASC for Linux - I built one for the chumby itself (along with pretty much all of the  other Open Source Flash development tools), posted here.

Thank you, I use ubuntu and it's a provided package which helps.

However as you point out, this compiles Actionscript 2.  Is there any way to compile actionscript 3 such that the result runs on the chumby?

Not yet - the chumby currently runs FlashLite 3.1, which is limited to Actionscript 2 and earlier.

Actionscript 3 runs on an entirely different virtual machine (AVM2).

We hope to be able to offer FlashLite 4.x, which would be able to run AS3 movies, soon.

It'd be great to know when 'FlashLite 4.x' might be available.  The handy UK Train Times widget has now gone and I'd like to have a go at replacing it when this is available on the chumby.

"Soon".

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_is_soon

"Soon is anytime between the very present and the end of time"

Is it possible to narrow this down at all?  This week/this year/this century/this millennium/before the sun expands and gobbles up the earth?

Well, it's tricky because some of the timing is out of our hands (certification with Adobe, etc), as well as other unrelated changes we're making to the firmware.  The other issue is that since it's a rather substantial update, we need to do a full regression test of *everything* - the Control Panel (which is pretty complex when you test all the alarm combinations, etc), all the music sources, and every widget.

There have also been some substantial changes to the Flash security model in FlashLite 4 - we already know of some widgets that work in FL3 that don't work in FL4.

For instance, in FL4, it's possible to capture a JPEG, render it to a Bitmap, recompress it with AS3 and upload it somewhere.  Since that wasn't possible in FL3, loading JPEGs typically didn't require a crossdomain file, and they could be imaged to a Bitmap object.  Under FL4, however, you can still load the JPEG, but as soon as you try to make a Bitmap out of it, the security sandbox kicks in and prevents it.

Why is this a security issue, you ask?  Well, because a Flash movie could capture a JPEG from some server behind your firewall and send to a machine *outside* the firewall.

Thank you for explaining that.  If you need any beta testers please let me know, I for one would be glad to help.

We may indeed take you up on that offer.

12 (edited by phoenixflames 2010-10-28 16:52:43)

Duane wrote:

Why is this a security issue, you ask?  Well, because a Flash movie could capture a JPEG from some server behind your firewall and send to a machine *outside* the firewall.

I feel a whole lot safer knowing that an open-source company really does care about security issues, and open to hacks. Another reason why these products are of high quality and an investment. As my secret menu would always say to me "Do you believe in the Users?"

doctor_regtools wrote:

Thank you for explaining that.  If you need any beta testers please let me know, I for one would be glad to help.

Hey I would be glad to test development too, especially on the Insignia Infocast 8"