Topic: LCD dimming

LCD dimmer.  I have an LCD screen that i would like to dim with a seperate dial type unit if possible rather than using the internal dimmer in the menu system of the monitor itself.  does anyone know how or where to get something like this.  or someone that could build something like this.

i have to dim and brighten my screen 10-20 times a day and it's such a pain to do it with the menu system.  it would be so much easier to do it with a manual dial of some sort.

Re: LCD dimming

Does this have anything to do with a chumby, or is this some other unrelated LCD panel?

If the latter, you may want to contact the vendor for your panel.

Re: LCD dimming

Hi winstonterr,

This sounds rather non-Chumby related, but I will try to answer anyway  wink

I bet that the backlight "Cold cathode fluorescent lamp" (CCFL) has broken. Think of this as a flat version of fluorescent tube that sits behind the LCD screen and produces the light. The backlight is usually bonded with the LCD in a way that you need to replace the entire screen. I guess you just had bad luck or bought a bad brand of laptop.

If your laptop has a VGA out connector you can connect it to an external screen, keyboard and mouse and use it as a desktop computer. Or if you're handy, try finding a broken laptop of the same brand with an intact screen on eBay and swap yourself.