Topic: nano-X/vnc works but screen color is odd?

Gentle persons:

I'm of an age where I not only don't have enough time in the day to do what I promised to do, I don't even have enough time to do what I want to do :-( Hence, my attempts to shorten the process by asking questions here...

Through brute force and ignorance applied over several evenings, I've got nano-X working on my Infocast (the last stupidity was not realizing I had to switch to fb0 in order to see the vnc display). Right now, I'm looking at  the desktop on my Ubuntu host on my Infocast.

The screen update rate is slow but acceptable for now.

What's not acceptable is the odd orange-ish cast to the Infocast display.

I have a vague memory of seeing a reference to a problem like this (on the wiki? the forum?) but trying to find it again is like playing "hunt the wumpus".

Any idea what I'm overlooking?

Regards,
Kent

Re: nano-X/vnc works but screen color is odd?

You don't happen to have anything in fb1, do you?  It's alpha-blended, so it's conceivable that could cast an orange tint.

Try running:

cat /dev/zero > /dev/fb1

3 (edited by RunningLight 2010-09-27 11:27:58)

Thanks for the clever idea, ChumbyLurker.

Unfortunately, I misled you with my report. When I got back from a family outing I looked at the Infocast screen a little closer and realized it didn't just have an orange-ish cast, it was actually displaying in a funky 'grayscale' ranging from orange to black. It reminds me of the orange-plasma terminals that were popular in CS circles back before the dawn of PCs.

I need to think about where the color-mapping mismatch is taking place. When I start up the vnc client on my Infocast using the shell script, I see the following

# ./vnc.sh
800x600x32bpp linelen 3200 type 0 visual 2 colors 16777216 pixtype 8
bin/vnc: VNC server supports protocol version 3.7 (viewer 3.3)
bin/vnc: No authentication needed
bin/vnc: Desktop name "xxxxx@xxxxxxx"
bin/vnc: Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3
bin/vnc: VNC server default format:
32 bits per pixel.
Least significant byte first in each pixel.
True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255
            shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
nanox fd = 4, rfbsock = 3

Hmmm. I hope I haven't fallen into a stupid endian trap.

Regards,
Kent

So I said

RunningLight wrote:

Unfortunately, I misled you with my report. When I got back from a family outing I looked at the Infocast screen a little closer and realized it didn't just have an orange-ish cast, it was actually displaying in a funky 'grayscale' ranging from orange to black. It reminds me of the orange-plasma terminals that were popular in CS circles back before the dawn of PCs.

I need to think about where the color-mapping mismatch is taking place.

I"m still thinking. What makes this doubly weird for me is that other demos included in the Nano-X distribution such as chess.sh and demo2.sh run fine on my Infocast with no color problems, so I don't think I screwed up the config file for my Nano-X build.

I'm all ears, if anyone has a notion of what I'm misunderstanding about the vnc client included in the Nano-X distribution or its handshake with the vnc server included with Ubuntu 9.10.

Regards,
Kent