Topic: profile.xml check

Hello,

It seems as if the current profile.xml / mixing local widgets is not operating correctly (at least on C1).  Can someone please verify that this is still the correct process?

I get no title, and the widget just jumps forward to the next one (does not appear to be loading) though it is in the "channel" as far as the widget count is concerned.  I have provided all the appropriate information (name, thumbnail, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Re: profile.xml check

Oddly enough it seems to work once you navigate to another channel, but not the one that is currently active when you reboot the device.

The first time the local widget is attempted to run, I got this message from the control panel log (obtained by running stop_control_panel, then start_control_panel from a shell):

2010-01-01 10:52:48 TRACE: WidgetPlayer.mergeLocalProfile(): found a local profile
2010-01-01 10:52:48 TRACE:   - adding 1 local widget instances
2010-01-01 10:55:18 TRACE: - loading widget movie "" from
2010-01-01 10:55:18 ClientObject::OpenSWFFile(): cannot open swf file

For some reason, even though the profile.xml file is scanned, the name and location come back as empty.

When I reload the channel, then I get the correct "loading widget" response:

2010-01-01 10:57:26 TRACE: - loading widget movie "X10 Controller" from file:////mnt/usb/x10ctrl.swf

Hope this helps.

Yeah, that's helpful - I'll see if I can figure out what's going on.

I am also running into this problem:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=4809

Sorry, that I started a new topic.  I didn't find this one until today.

Any news on whether a solution has been found?

Thanks,
Chris.

I can confirm this problem as well - local widgets won't display properly at all until you switch channels, and then will only display if you go to the control panel and manually switch to that widget.  After it cycles back off the local widget, it won't cycle back on again until you change channels.

Has anyone come across the reason for this issue? 

I did notice the other day that my local widget played once and then I didn't see it again.  No idea why it played.  I didn't change anything and it hasn't played since.

exact same problem here - any ideas on a solution yet?

btw, has anyone been able to load a remote swf via http through profile.xml? I just can't get that to ever show up in the channel (and I believe I have the crossdomain.xml in there right).

I am still struggling with this problem.  Has anyone come up with a solution?

Chris.

I am facing the problem too. The profile.xml merging is extremely unreliable. Reloading the channel shows the widget sometimes and within few minutes the local widget fails to load.

Anybody found the solution?

I just gave up trying to use local widgets.  I rewrote my widget to use XML streams so I could play in the sandbox that flash provides.

agprimatic wrote:

I just gave up trying to use local widgets.  I rewrote my widget to use XML streams so I could play in the sandbox that flash provides.

Can you please elaborate? My widget needs to load data from another website which does not have crossdomain set and hence does not work if I upload the widget on chumby.com. I don't want to work on setting up a proxy right now.

My widget needed to access the hardware, which is a no-no for widgets in chumbyland.  So instead of running a local widget, I built a daemon (well, it will be a daemon someday) that is started at the bootup.  It communicates with the hardware and uses xml to send and receive data on the widget.  I had to add a mechanism in the daemon to respond to the cross-domain query so the widget knew that it was okay to talk XML over the socket.
Sorry--I don't have a good answer for you if the website your trying to connect to doesn't have a crossdomain.xml set up.

Thanks agprimatic! I see your trace logs from Jan and I think the current situation is the same. Wondering why it is not yet fixed.

Ignoring these issues, it is still fun to build small apps for this device smile

No problem, rubpa.

Just remember that mixing local widgets into a channel is not supported by the new(er) Insignia Infocast.  At least, that's what

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … _a_channel

shows.  So my guess is that this particular feature is not going to get a lot of attention from the chumby guys (and gals).

Ag

I'm working on diagnosing the issues with profile.xml

OK, I found the problem - the issue was that the profile.xml that was loaded into the CP would tend to get garbage collected.

This will be fixed in the next Ironforge/Falconwing CP.

Thanks for looking into this, Duane!

Duane wrote:

This will be fixed in the next Ironforge/Falconwing CP.

great. Thanks Duane! I hope this(Ironforge/Falconwing) means the next CP on my C1.

This is great news.  Where can I find a version (alpha, beta, etc) of the next CP (which includes the profile.xml garbage collection fix)?

It's new yet out in Beta - still in QA.

One issue is that this Control Panel *also* requires a firmware update, since it also addresses enhancements to the FM radio and some other things.

Thanks for the heads up.  I look forward to the new CP.

My chumby recently updated its firmware and I am happy to say that my local widgets are now working.

Thanks,
Chris.