Topic: Auto night mode?

Is it possible to enter night mode automatically or programmatically? The Wiki page at http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … omatically doesn't show Infocast supports the documented way... Any hints? Thanks.

2 (edited by Shady 2010-09-06 13:03:41)

Re: Auto night mode?

Denix (are you also on the MCV forums?) I don't think that an auto night is currently supported with infocast, but it is with the Chumbys (using silent alaram to set or trigger events).

I love mine so far and would love to get Vera controlled through it.  So far I have one of my IP cameras working with still images on the infocast, very cool.  Vera shouldn't be that hard to write an interface app for.

use a clock that has brightness scheduling

4 (edited by nolanjurgens 2010-12-28 17:15:46)

Which Infocast? The 8" or 3.5"? With the 3.5 you can just use a custom alarm as stated earlier. The 8" software is much different and doesn't support this, at least not easily.

Found a way to dim the screen and to make it bright again.  Still looking though for "night" command such that I can run a cron job to turn it dim (with clock) at night though....

To make the screen dim:

echo 20 > /sys/devices/platform/silvermoon-bl/backlight/silvermoon-bl/brightness

to make the screen bright:

echo 90 > /sys/devices/platform/silvermoon-bl/backlight/silvermoon-bl/brightness

Does anyone know the name of the program running with just the basic clock when you hit the "night" mode or the "night" mode command?

did you try the screen dimming in 3.5" or 8" infocast ?

The custom alarms and the default night clock appear to run at a higher priviledge level, thus can adjust the screen brightness. Normal widgets have insufficient priviledges to do so.

(I tried to do it programatically from a widget, but was unsuccessful, due to the above.)

I did this on an 8" Infocast.  (via SSH).  I'm fine with a cron job. 

I'd still like to run the "night mode" widget clock though instead of dimming only.  Thinking maybe of using the flash line command mode; but not having luck with it so far.

I use whatever widget is available for the 3.5' Infocast "night mode".