Topic: Wireless connectivity problems + "non-Beta" later version than Beta

My Chumby was set to use the Beta CP, and has been running 2.8.50. For the last several betas, the wireless has been sketchy, even though my router (Linksys w/DD-WRT) is in the next room. The Chumby always showed only 1 bar although other wireless devices (like my laptop) show full strength. It also frequently disconnects, sometimes reconnecting by itself, but mostly remains disconnected and running the default clock. I then have to reconnect thru Settings>Network.

When I reverted the Chumby to use the non-Beta CP, I wound up with a later version (2.8.57) than when set to use the Beta CP (2.8.50). The .57 version shows 2 bars instead of 1, I'll keep it for a few days and see if it has any connectivity problems.

-LloydM

"It's Chumbological!"

Re: Wireless connectivity problems + "non-Beta" later version than Beta

Lloyd,
Did you happen to get the link quality and signal that the chumby was getting before the CP update and after?  This can be found in Settings -> Chumby Info towards the bottom.

-Sam

Re: Wireless connectivity problems + "non-Beta" later version than Beta

Sam -

I didn't record the link data with CP 2.8.50. Here's the info for CP 2.8.57 from the /cgi-bin/wifi page.

rausb0    RT73 WLAN
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.437 GHz
          Bit Rate=9 Mb/s   
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Link Quality=41/100  Signal level:-74 dBm  Noise level:-107 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed | WE
face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc | beacon | 19
rausb0: 0000   41.  182   149        0      0      0      0      0        0

With CP 2.8.57 I've seen the meter mostly at 1-2 bars, but no connectivity breaks.
I get this same version now whether I choose "Control Panel" or "Control Panel Beta", so I can't revert to CP 2.8.50.

The router is a Linksys WRT54G2 V1 running DD-WRT version v24-sp2. Here's what it reports for the Chumby:

MAC Address Interface Uptime TX Rate RX Rate Signal Noise SNR Signal Quality
xx:xx:xx:xx:91:98 eth1 N/A N/A N/A -70 -92 22 29%

The router is only about 25' away from the Chumby, with no walls between them. My laptop shows much better link quality, even when further away and separated by multiple walls. Do I need to tweak any of DD-WRT's "Advanced Wireless Settings" to improve the link to the Chumby?

-LloydM

"It's Chumbological!"