Topic: bricked chumby

Hi,

I am unable to get my chumby to work with my WIFI network (with or without WEP enabled).  My next step was to enable static IP but that didn't seem to work.

Now when I reboot the chumby it gets stuck at the end of the boot animation.  If I pull out the WIFI dongle the chumby will continue and I get to the "authorizing..." screen.

Also, since you used a different server at foo camp my registration no longer works and I can't find out my chumby ID (because it is borked) sad

Perhaps the static IP config is screwing up the system.  Is there a way to do a factory reset of the chumby?

Re: bricked chumby

ok - I found out how to reset the chumby.  My bad.

However, I still can't connect to the network.  I see no indication that the chumby ever attaches to the WIFI access point (based on the info on the access point station list).  I did verify that the USB dongle does work correctly by plugging it into my ubuntu box.

So how far is it getting at this point?

If you go to the Control Panel and bring up Settings/info, is the chumby getting an IP?

4 (edited by harshaw 2006-08-28 11:25:28)

nope, no IP sad

but I now see where the id is located smile

Any other ideas Duane? 

I suppose I need to wait until I can get the schematics for the serial cable so I can get inside my chumby and figure out what is going on - that is, unless there is a way to get at the log files through the UI.

FWIW I am using a Negear WG602 AP.

Hmmm, you can enter a support/service request on the website and somebody will get back to you.  Please be sure to include what kind of encryption method you're using on your access point.

The guys that can help with this problem (bunnie and Ken) are currently on the road coming back from Foo.

I dug up a USB extension cable, attached it to the back of the chumby, and plugged in the provided wifi dongle.  This lets me position the dongle near the window and I was able to pick up more open access points (perhaps the extension cord acting as an antenna?). 

However, it still doesn't work; I can't connect. bummer.

re - schematics for the serial cable--are you having trouble accessing the schematics and board layouts at the developer section of the website? I had some troubles with the click-through EULA, but I don't know if that's just me or some fundamental deficiency with the web site.

I think Ken is the man for helping you to debug this one--he wrote all of the startup scripts. I will send an email to ken to get him to check this thread and give you a hand. I'm sorry you are having such pains!

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

One thing I just thought about--if you continue to have problems, ping me and I'll send you the test clips you need to clip into the serial port. Keep in mind that it's a TTL level serial port so you'll still need a TTL to RS-232 converter chip in-line. Don't know how much of a hardware geek you are, let me know if that was just obtuse to you or what.

I was just pondering the startup screen animation halt problem and concurrent to the animation a DHCP process is running. It is curious that it halts the chumby, and it may be an artifact of the particular AP you are using. We, in our wonderful lack of time, tested with only one AP, the WRT-54g.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9

ok.. I think I solved this one.

The problem seems that I need to force my AP to run only in 802.11B mode not the combined mode (which supports 802.11b and g).

The reason I tried this was that the ethereal dump seemed to indicate that the chumby wanted to only connect with supported rates of 1.0, 2.0, 5.5, or 11.0 (all B).  Obviously the wifi dongle supports G and was I able to use it with a 2.6 kernel box to connect to my AP.

harshaw wrote:

ok.. I think I solved this one.

The problem seems that I need to force my AP to run only in 802.11B mode not the combined mode (which supports 802.11b and g).

The reason I tried this was that the ethereal dump seemed to indicate that the chumby wanted to only connect with supported rates of 1.0, 2.0, 5.5, or 11.0 (all B).  Obviously the wifi dongle supports G and was I able to use it with a 2.6 kernel box to connect to my AP.

Thanks - that great information!

We saw that same behavior with a couple of units here but thought that it was an anomaly.  We'll take a closer look at it.

This is *exactly* why we put these units out there.