Re: The Insignia/BestBuy branded Chumby

RE: Home page
I think I may have said this on the Insignia forum and not here, but I think we have a hard time getting it or don't know why it's there because we don't need it and it's not geared to us. I think it's for people that think from a different angle. This device will cater to a wider range of people and I think that screen will help them (like my parents for example).

So most of us here look at things in a non-normal/non-standard light perhaps since we are power users, gadget junkies, technophiles or just early adopters of things.

A good example is skins, I don't see a need either, but it's popular because almost all devices I tinker with people want it and I mean moan about it (Zune, Treo, games, PocketTunes you name it).

Anyway, I think you might get the point I am trying to make and that is why I am not really sold on the home screen, but see why it's there and think they should keep it. I am not trying to start a debate, just sharing my view.
Thanks, Matt

I don't have a problem with the home screen. I am sure some people find it helpful. It is nice that we have the choice of how to use the device. Like I said before, I don't like it but rarely have to see it. Others may have it as their default screen. My statement that it is ugly is purely subjective as I think the color is nauseating. Someone else might want to paint their house that color.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

ebsebs wrote:

I must have really bad timing!
Just before I got my Insignia Infocast, I bought a Seagate Dockstar to set up a SqueezeBox Server to stream my music.
Then I realized that the Infocast doesn't have SqueezeBox Server as a music source. sad

Here's hoping that it will be added soon!

I've always been able to listen to my Squeezebox Server through my chumby classic just by making an entry for the server's url into "my streams". I did this early on when there was some talk that Squeeze Server support might 'go away'.

Also, I'd imagine you could enter your server's url through Ratzfatz's wonderful YouStreams App.

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Duane wrote:
Skipuppy wrote:

You mention UPnP support for pictures and video but not music.  I sort of assume that if it supports UPnP for pictures and video it will handle music as well.  Can anyone confirm that?

Not in the first release.

Duane,

At the risk of asking a question I should be directing to BB support in Estonia or wherever, would a theoretical second or subsequent release be something that could be deployed via software update? Or would it require a new hardware version? UPnP for music would be nice. I don't personally 'have' to have it, as I have that functionality with my Reciva radio. It is a quick solution for those looking to pull music from their home libraries. I have always enjoyed 'pushing' my music around with Squeeze, Icecast, Shoutcast etc. Also, when using Squeeze or mpd for instance, there are lots of cute server interface solutions available that let you control your server with an iPhone or a PDA for that matter. (Anything that keeps me in my chair!)

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Ok, the 100 degree heat in NYC caused me to flee to my nearest Best Buy and get an Infocast. Setup was very straightforward. My biggest problem was remembering how to change settings on my DD-WRT enabled router!

Anyway one thing I noticed right away was that when I activated it, I created a new account on the insignia.chumby.com page, only I used the same login name as I did for my chumby classic at the chumby.com page. And guess what? I can 'see' the settings for both the infocast and the classic from either the insignia dashboard or the chumby.com dashboard!

Interesting, wonder what would happen if I opted to try the 'beta' control panel on the infocast. I shan't do that however, without hearing from Duane or somebody like that first. Well, back to playing with my new toy!

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

I registered my unit on the Chumby site after learning from my Dash experience smile

pounce wrote:

I registered my unit on the Chumby site after learning from my Dash experience smile

Is that like a near death experience??

I did a bit of searching. Did the Dash exhibit similar tendencies towards getting mixed up account-wise with an existing classic or one?

I ended up making a new user id for it, because you can't be friends with yourself.

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

The dash and Insignia sites are basically re-skins of the normal chumby.com site, though there's also some filtering and some slightly different functionality.  Sony also operates a separate site for app/widget development for their product, though it ultimately is making web service calls to our service.

One of the points of all this is that you can manage all of your chumby-powered devices from a common account, with a common set of channels and widgets, just as thought you have multiple standard chumbys.  The server should send only compatible widgets to any given device.

You don't really need "friends" for the same account - if you add a widget from the BB8 to a channel that's also assigned to a C1, the C1 will also show the widget, if it's compatible.

Thanks Duane,

Interesting.

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Joan Jett wrote:
ebsebs wrote:

I must have really bad timing!
Just before I got my Insignia Infocast, I bought a Seagate Dockstar to set up a SqueezeBox Server to stream my music.
Then I realized that the Infocast doesn't have SqueezeBox Server as a music source. sad

Here's hoping that it will be added soon!

I've always been able to listen to my Squeezebox Server through my chumby classic just by making an entry for the server's url into "my streams". I did this early on when there was some talk that Squeeze Server support might 'go away'.

Also, I'd imagine you could enter your server's url through Ratzfatz's wonderful YouStreams App.

Oh, ok. Now that I own an Infocast, I see it doesn't have My Streams either and YouStreams is incompatible (??). However, Streams widget works ok on Infocast

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Joan Jett wrote:

Oh, ok. Now that I own an Infocast, I see it doesn't have My Streams either and YouStreams is incompatible (??). However, Streams widget works ok on Infocast

Joan,  which Streams widget are you using that works okay?  I haven't found one that works for custom streams, unless I'm doing something wrong (not out of the question).  So far, the only way I can get custom streams is by accessing btplay directly via SSH.

JonathanMurray wrote:
Joan Jett wrote:

Joan,  which Streams widget are you using that works okay?  I haven't found one that works for custom streams, unless I'm doing something wrong (not out of the question).  So far, the only way I can get custom streams is by accessing btplay directly via SSH.

http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/Streams%20(beta)

PS, I really miss the signatures on this forum.

I'm Brian. I'm only obsessed with Joan Jett

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

88 (edited by JonathanMurray 2010-07-07 17:50:02)

Brian aka Joan Jett wrote:

http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/Streams%20(beta)

PS, I really miss the signatures on this forum.

I'm Brian. I'm only obsessed with Joan Jett

Got it... thanks, Brian!

Duane wrote:

I'm not sure why people are assuming that the Infocast is an alarm clock- there's even a new Engadget article that makes that association.

For the record - the Infocast is *not* an alarm clock.

How can it not be an alarm clock?  It has a snooze button.  smile

bunnie wrote:

Not to be too oblique, but I'll suggest

BB8

As in short for "Best Buy 8 inch" as the tag for reference to this specific instance of the silvermoon platform.

Silvermoon/SM is a troublesome tag for specific bugs to BB8 because SM is a platform; you can have many different brands that license their own version of the SM platform.

IC is a troublesome tag because our next gen platform codename is Icecrown, so it has the same initials.

BB alone is a troublesome tag because it assumes there will be only one Infocast or Best Buy product ever.

Thus, I propose BB8 as it is short, sweet, and should be reasonably specific and futureproof.

Silvermoon & Icecrown?  I think someone at Chumby plays WoW.  So, where can I find warcraft apps for the BB8?

For the Horde!

fatespeaks wrote:
Duane wrote:

I'm not sure why people are assuming that the Infocast is an alarm clock- there's even a new Engadget article that makes that association.

Sorry to be daft, but where is the snooze button? I see a button on top that is labeled "Insignia" that does not invoke the snooze when pressed (unless mine if defective), but I don't see a "snooze button"; do you mean a soft button that  the UI brings up once the alarm sounds?

He was being cheeky. The physical button is the spitting image of a snooze button. It's in the right place and all....

It's only a matter of time before everyone caves to the desires of the masses.

93 (edited by burkhardi 2010-07-09 08:04:46)

pounce wrote:

He was being cheeky. The physical button is the spitting image of a snooze button. It's in the right place and all....

Cave to the desires of the masses...there is no issue with the alarm's feature set on the Infocast, your just holding it wrong...

(yes, I am being cheeky in this reply, a la jobs style).
I have no issue with the alarm, only the lack of ability to launch an event (i.e. AutoDim), but I do see how it's a very popular request.

burkhardi wrote:
pounce wrote:

Cave to the desires of the masses...there is no issue with the alarm's feature set on the Infocast, your just holding it wrong...

(yes, I am being cheeky in this reply, a la jobs style).
I have no issue with the alarm, only the lack of ability to launch an event (i.e. AutoDim), but I do see how it's a very popular request.

Yes, that is the greatest weakness of the Infocast. Events are a big deal to me (and several others it appears).

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

95 (edited by fatespeaks 2010-07-31 09:03:59)

burkhardi wrote:
fatespeaks wrote:
Duane wrote:

Sorry to be daft, but where is the snooze button? I see a button on top that is labeled "Insignia" that does not invoke the snooze when pressed (unless mine if defective), but I don't see a "snooze button"; do you mean a soft button that  the UI brings up once the alarm sounds?

I thought it was a snooze button. 

burkhardi wrote:

The physical button is the spitting image of a snooze button. It's in the right place and all...

Imagine the dismay when I had to open my eyes to figure out how to stop the klaxon sound.  At least I made it to work on time.  hmm
-edit: The "Insignia" button on top does indeed snooze my alarm.

The "Insignia/snooze button" did snooze my alarm as it should. Maybe something in your config prevented it, but to the point.
The infocast looks like an alarm clock
The largest category of apps are clocks
It has a snooze button
It does have an alarm clock function
It has the same apps as the Dash, which was billed as an "internet alarm clock"
It does not have a browser (too bad might escape the "alarm clock"stigma it it did)
Since the great majority of apps have little practical use and it is *not* an alarm clock.
It's not really a media player, My android phone does better
A digital picture frame.......
Music player, my android phone does better

I really do think this thing does have great potential. A good starting place is to look what they have done to smartphones, 98% of my use is internet and email but ironically we still call it a "phone"

The question is "what *is* the infocast"?

97 (edited by burkhardi 2010-07-10 17:38:18)

abarron wrote:

The question is "what *is* the infocast"?

An "Internet Media Display" and fits in the "Ambient Consumer Electronics" genre

abarron, please read this as a friendly debate and not me being a what ever you wanna call it...

Also from what I can recall, unlike the Dash, both the Chumby and Infocast are not billed as an alarm clock as their main function.

However, I think the Chumby One is a killer alarm clock.
I bet Insignia will fix the alarm short comings soon with a firmware update. I bet they had a very small beta group and why it was not obvious from the get go.

I'll go set my alarm again on the Infocast and see if the top button does anything.

Also, it's all relative, I think just for a Facebook conduit it's a great value (and I don't even use facebook much). I have friends that want one now just for that.

My wife likes all the news and gossip at a glance stuff (People, ET, MTV, headlines).
Out of curiosity, can your android pull pictures off your LAN via UPuP and play a slideshow with it?
How big is the screen on the Android? I would not want a small screen for pictures, IMHO, the Chumby is too small for pictures and why I really like the Infocast for that. I am thinking about modifying it and hanging on the wall in the kitchen as a "picture frame".

And not to be a wise butt, but I have never seen an alarm clock that looks like the Infocast (or the Chumby for that matter), if anything it looks like a Digital Picture frame and is why I bet some Best Buy's have them in that area.
You are right though, there are over 200 clock apps and the next biggest one is Entertainment with only half that amount.

Re: SmartPhone - IMHO, that genre was started by HandSpring and they called theirs a "Communicator" and that really fit the bill IMHO. I have a Treo SmartPhone and have had all the models since they were branded HandSpring and not Palm starting with the Treo300. I use mine about 33% phone, 33% email and internet and 33% media player to stream Radio Paradise or play WMA files (as a DAP) that I have on it. I sure miss Handspring...

Just my 2-cents worth, Matt

BTW, here is the Infocast description from the Best Buy site and I don't even see the word "clock" in there.

The Insignia Infocast Internet Media Display allows you to instantly access your favorite web-based content without the hassle of a computer and to easily view and share apps, photos and videos with friends and family. Quickly and easily access popular Internet content and services like Pandora Internet Radio, SHOUTcast, Photobucket and more than 1,500 apps from chumby industries with the Infocast Internet Media Display. With its built-in Wi-Fi connection, you can stay connected to your digital world and even share favorite apps, photos and videos with other users of chumby-powered devices. In addition, the integrated microphone and remarkable audio with SRS Sound technology enhance both communication and music apps. Plus, there are never any subscription fees for all of this great content.

Featuring a vibrant 8" touch screen LCD with 800 x 600 resolution for easy viewing of Internet content, photos, videos and more, the Infocast Internet Media Display makes the perfect bedside, kitchen, office or living room companion. The 2GB internal memory and support for media cards, including Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, MultiMediaCard, CompactFlash I/II, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO Duo, allow you to easily enjoy your favorite photos, videos and music even if there isn't a Wi-Fi network nearby.

abarron, please read this as a friendly debate and not me being a what ever you wanna call it...(absolutely friendly)

However, I think the Chumby One is a killer alarm clock.(Absolutely could be)

And not to be a wise butt, but I have never seen an alarm clock that looks like the Infocast (that is exactly the point and why it has great potential. It brings multimeadia/internet into the bedroom in an unconventional way.What a better way to kick off the morning by having you bedside device do something other than beep at you)

Out of curiosity, can your android pull pictures off your LAN via UPuP and play a slideshow with it?
How big is the screen on the Android? (My Nexus one phone "Internet Media Display" WiFi's to my network drive hanging off my wireless router and displays the pictures quite nicely for a 3.7" display. FYI the infocast also sees my network drive over WiFi. If I really want a photo slideshow I view them on the TV through my PS3, the quality is stunning so having a small display just isn't necessary.

BTW, here is the Infocast description from the Best Buy site and I don't even see the word "clock" in there.
(Alot of people are hung up about the work "clock" being used explicitly in the product description. Maybe the solution to avoid the apparent confusion would be remove the clock function from the infocast entirely (and the snooze button) then we would see what nitch this product would really fall into.

BTW, The BB stores in Anchorage don't even display the infocast. there is a price tag on the shelf for it right next to the Dash.

Wow sorry for the long response..Let's see thats about 3 cents

thanks Andy

OK, Thanks for the reply and here is my 1.5-cents worth...

RE: Best Buy display
I think out of the five I have been to (and not seeing them on display) and from the people that I read about not being able to find them on display, let alone in the store for sale, makes me wonder how they are going to sell these things.

RE: Nexus
Does it mount a network share or use UPnP like the InfoCast? How does your Infocast see your network dive, did you telnet into the Infcast and mount it that way? I didn't think it had a file browser or Samba running? So with a 3.7" display, then you feel my pain about using a 4" (on a Chumby) display then.
I can view all my pictures on my 56" DLP using a Roku PhotoBridge and the quality is next to none, it even has a card reader and can play movies and music. The issue is that I want something in the kitchen (or the bedroom or guest room)and why the 8" infocast/BB8 fits that bill to a T. Plus I don't have room in the kitchen for 56" TV (or even a 24")...LOL (nor the money for a 56" in the kitchen...LOL)

RE: Best Buy's Infocast description
I was stating that I did not see the word "clock" in there, as in there is no mention of it even doing a clock or alarm type function. Did I miss it, or miss read your reply?

In closing, thanks for your retort and I really think that Insignia will address this soon and add a more robust clock/alarm function list to the Infocast. Then I think a bunch of people will be happy campers.

A smackable button atop a display screams "snooze".  But I'll buy a limited testing budget dictating priorities.  I've worked on mainstream and high-end consumer devices, it's no exaggeration.

I'm not too confident we'll see much support for this thing going forward.  I can only imagine that Best Buy is run by people cousin to those that run Warner Brothers.  One part of the fiefdom created this product, but another part completely fails to get behind it.  The Mira Mesa Best Buy had the Infocast stocked next to the Dash, but there was nothing there to promote it except a shelf tag.  I found another one next to the photo frames, with no tag.  Nobody that worked there knew where to find it.

And then the touchscreen doesn't work right on the one I bought.  (Touching the stars works, moving the green ball fails.)  We'll see what happens tomorrow when I try to exchange it.