1 (edited by stm555 2010-07-03 14:43:46)

Topic: Quick Cam Messenger and Chumby crash

Sorry if this has been answered before, I think I've read just about every webcam thread by now and didn't see this behavior mentioned anywhere.

I've managed to cross compile the quick cam messenger driver via scratchbox and got it loaded on my Original Chumby. I'm not absolutely certain, but I think the driver is rather old and only supports v4l (not v4l2). Whenever I attempt to access the webcam through /dev/video0 through ffmpeg (also cross-compiled via scratchbox) or using an img tool script I gleaned from another thread, the chumby stops responding and appears to reboot. After the reboot I only find messages regarding that boot in dmesg.

So my question is, how would I go about troubleshooting this? Has anyone had any luck with the qcmessenger driver?

Re: Quick Cam Messenger and Chumby crash

It sounds like it's panicking, and the watchdog timer is kicking in to reboot it.  The easiest way to figure out what's going on, unfortunately, is to open it up and connect a TTL serial adapter.  If you do that, you should be able to see the panic message rather easily.