1 (edited by coondognd 2010-06-01 20:52:30)

Topic: Trouble with bluetooth dongle installation

Has anyone had any luck getting a USB Bluetooth dongle working on a Chumby classic?  I have a dongle I'm trying to add, but I can't get the drivers/stack going.  The dongle was working with another linux box, so I feel I should be good on the hardware front.  I just hit a wall on the software side.

So far, I used scratchbox to cross-compile bluez-libs and bluez-utils (v3.36), and deployed them to the Chumby via a USB memory stick (via http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … n_Chumby)., and rebooted.  However, I'm not too sure what to do next.

Running hcitool gives the following:

chumby:/mnt/usb/usr/bin# ./hcitool scan
Device is not available: Address family not supported by protocol

According to the wisdom of the internet, I need to get the hci_usb module added first.  However, two problems on that front.  modprobe says:

chumby:/drivers# modprobe
modprobe: cannot parse modules.dep

and insmod gives

chumby:/drivers# insmod hci_usb.ko
insmod: cannot insert 'hci_usb.ko': Unknown symbol in module (-1): No such file or directory

According to more internet wisdom (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2667), that error may be because hci_usb.ko requires bluetooth.ko, which I don't see in the /drivers directory.

So I'm not sure where to go next.  I see the dongle in the usb device list (though the info looks a bit different than the other devices -- no driver or device name)

chumby:# mount -t usbfs null /proc/bus/usb
chumby:# more /proc/bus/usb/devices

[Some other devices]

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  4 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0a12 ProdID=0001 Rev= 5.25
C:* #Ifs= 3 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  16 Ivl=1ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
I:  If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS=   0 Ivl=1ms
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS=   0 Ivl=1ms
E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS=  49 Ivl=1ms
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS=  49 Ivl=1ms
I:  If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=fe(app. ) Sub=01 Prot=00 Driver=(none)

After some forum searching, I see that awalton mentions having some bluetooth success.  http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=435  Anyone else? (Or perhaps awalton can help me out?)

My chumby info, if that's useful:

chumby:~# chumby_version -s
chumby:~# chumby_version -f

P.S.  I'm sure I'm way off with some of the terms I've used and procedures I've attempted.  I'm a bit out of my element here, so no need to sugar-coat any responses.
P.P.S.  I should point out that while I was ultimately able to compile bluez-utils, I had to add a "limits.h" include to a few files (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … lp-736869/) to do so.  So it's possible my suspect compilation is the root cause.

Re: Trouble with bluetooth dongle installation

The Classic requires you to do all driver management yourself -- you're right in that you'll need to use "insmod" to load the drivers.  You'll also need to manage dependencies yourself.

You'll need to download the Classic kernel and compile the modules.  Download it to your dev environment and run "make ARCH=arm menuconfig", then enable the bluetooth modules, as well as the USB modules.  Then, run "make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-", and pull out the resulting .ko objects (mkdir ~/drivers; for i in $(find . -name '*.ko') do cp $i ~/drivers; done), and copying them from ~/drivers to the Classic.

When you insmod drivers, they will either insert without issue, or will report an error.  If the error is along the lines of "unrecognized symbol", it probably means there's a dependency that you'll need to insert first.  To find errors, run "dmesg".

Oh boy, this is going to be an adventure.  Well, I needed something to keep me busy in the evenings now that Lost is over, anyway.  smile

Thanks for the response!

Sweet bejeezus, it worked!  And I was able to do it on my lunch hour. smile  I'm now able to scan for devices:

chumby:/mnt/usb/usr/sbin# ./hciconfig hci0 up
chumby:/mnt/usb/usr/sbin# ../bin/hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        00:18:13:3F:AB:4B       W300i

For anyone else trying to do this: I didn't have to change any of the menuconfig options -- bluetooth and USB were already there.  After the compilation finished and I copied the .ko files over, I only needed to "insmod" bluetooth.ko and hci_usb.ko

I'm sure it will all go away when I reboot, but for now, I'm good!

Thanks!

just curious, is there anything we can even use bluetooth for yet?

Well, I haven't seen any direct Chumby support for bluetooth, but you can always roll-your-own.  I suppose something that would be fairly simple would be bluetooth presence detection.  I carry my phone with me all the time, so I could cron an "hcitool scan" periodically to detect my phone.  If it's not there, then I've likely left the house, so the chumby could switch to night mode.  When the phone is detected again, it could change to a particular channel, play music, etc.

I have other plans, but they're too lame to even mention here.  smile

Yeah, since Bunny tends to view Bluetooth as a horrible technology, I doubt you'll see any official support for it baked into Chumby distributions anytime soon.

Even so, the kernel modules ought to be there at least...

coondognd wrote:

Well, I haven't seen any direct Chumby support for bluetooth, but you can always roll-your-own.  I suppose something that would be fairly simple would be bluetooth presence detection.  I carry my phone with me all the time, so I could cron an "hcitool scan" periodically to detect my phone.  If it's not there, then I've likely left the house, so the chumby could switch to night mode.  When the phone is detected again, it could change to a particular channel, play music, etc.

This is a clever way to use the bluetooth connection. I was thinking more of using it to transmit to my stereo instead of from my computer.

andyski101 wrote:
coondognd wrote:

This is a clever way to use the bluetooth connection. I was thinking more of using it to transmit to my stereo instead of from my computer.

I wish someone would hurry up and do something. Even something small. Perhaps the functionality just isn't there though. I personally don't know how to do this so I can't push around like I know everything, I'm just saying I'm majorly anxious to see some awesome headway with this device, and not just bluetooth either.