Topic: Custom alarm screen

I thought I'd share my custom alarm screen for waking up.  Below is the example of the screen when the alarm goes off.

alarm screen

To download it I have posted the swf and fla (CS4) here:

http://thegroverfamily.net:8/chumby/alarmring.swf
http://thegroverfamily.net:8/chumby/alarmring.fla

I'm still learning flash so I'm sorry I've just used standard library objects and simple text fields.  I'd be happy to try suggestions.

Re: Custom alarm screen

Nice - I like the time being visible on that screen. If it only was 24h as well... wink

Here's a 24h version that's just a quick mod of likearaptor's version.  Likearaptor, I figured that since you posted the fla you wouldn't mind people playing with it...let me know if that's wrong and I'll pull mine down. 

I also added using the top button as a snooze (Duane showed me how to do this).  That works but there's still an issue with the Control Panel also getting the button event, I think there's a fix for this upcoming though.  What happens for me when the Control Panel also gets the button is that instead of going back to whatever channel was playing before you hit snooze, the Control Panel comes up.  The snooze is still operative though.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~smgross/ … rmring.fla
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~smgross/ … rmring.swf

Great! Thanks a lot - took one from the stack wink

5 (edited by likearaptor 2010-02-01 20:46:53)

Shasta,

Thanks for adding the snooze button, I was hoping someone would add that functionality.  I'll look at your fla and update mine as well later tonight.

edit - I updated the links above so it also works with the snooze button on top

likearaptor wrote:

Shasta,

Thanks for adding the snooze button, I was hoping someone would add that functionality.  I'll look at your fla and update mine as well later tonight.

edit - I updated the links above so it also works with the snooze button on top

Am I doing something wrong, the links in your post in this thread don't work, I don't get 404, but might as well.

burkhardi wrote:

Am I doing something wrong, the links in your post in this thread don't work, I don't get 404, but might as well.

Right click > save as...

Do I put these Files in the psp folder?

The easiest would be to put the swf on a usb drive and then plug in your usb drive.  On my chumby one I have it create the /mnt/usb folder on boot and link it to /mnt/storage/usb where I placed my swf.

I was doing the right click.
They work not too.
The screen shot was not working during this time was well and now you can also see the screen shot in the first post.

Shasta McNasty wrote:
burkhardi wrote:

Right click > save as...

My links might not work on some computers, because my webserver uses port 8 instead of port 80, it might be blocked by certain internet providers, sorry

likearaptor wrote:

My links might not work on some computers, because my webserver uses port 8 instead of port 80, it might be blocked by certain internet providers, sorry

Yes, I was at work (cough, cough I mean somewhere else..) and that is the case I bet (port 8).

Also, on the C1, can this be put on the internal micro SD card and if so, is there way to do it by copying it from a USB flash drive to the SD card?

TIA, Matt

What I have done, is on the sd microsd card there is a share /mnt/storage where you have a lot of extra storage space.  So I created the folder /mnt/storage/usb and then in the bootup scripts I have it do this command

ln -s /mnt/storage/usb /mnt/usb

This will create a symbolic link when the chumby turns on to your storage/usb directory.  The chumby will then think it has a usb and read files from it.  If you plug in a usb drive it will remove the symbolic link and replace it.  Then you just have to reboot after you remove the usb drive.

This Screen (12h version) works perfect for me -  except that the AM part is cut off at the end. The M is cut off at the end.
Maybe the size of the font should be reduced just a bit?

I love the custom alarm screen.  The only trouble is that if I hit the bend sensor to snooze the alarm, the alarm does snooze, but the control panel also activates.  Of course, if I use the snooze button on the screen, the alarm snoozes, and I'm returned to my widget.  Any way to fix it so that the bend sensor returns control to the widget like the on-screen buttons do?

Jeff Kowalski wrote:

I love the custom alarm screen.  The only trouble is that if I hit the bend sensor to snooze the alarm, the alarm does snooze, but the control panel also activates.  Of course, if I use the snooze button on the screen, the alarm snoozes, and I'm returned to my widget.  Any way to fix it so that the bend sensor returns control to the widget like the on-screen buttons do?

I think thats a bug that the developers are working on...

@ likearaptor:

hi, i am an absolute beginner, sorry. could you please explain that more detailed?

...and then in the bootup scripts I have it do this command

i also would like to implement this wonderful alarmscreen without a thumbdrive.

thanks a lot for your helb smile

kabatronix

kabatronix wrote:

@ likearaptor:

hi, i am an absolute beginner, sorry. could you please explain that more detailed?

...and then in the bootup scripts I have it do this command

i also would like to implement this wonderful alarmscreen without a thumbdrive.

thanks a lot for your helb smile

kabatronix

I'll respond back this weekend.  I had to reformat my sd card, my power connector went bad and I had to re solder it and I have a plain normal chumby.  This weekend I am going to add my customizations and I'll write back ad let you know how I got it working.

19 (edited by hamradio 2010-05-07 12:33:08)

Great modification! Saves me each day at least 40 seconds, means approx. 220 x 40 sec = 8800 sec = 146 min a year! Should be implemented in next firmware-update!

@likearaptor

did you manage to fix your chumby already? still got stuck with an usb-stick in my chumbies back wink

cu

kabatronix smile

Sorry for the delay.  I used to check these forums daily but lately I have forgot to.  I was able to get my chumby working again and I can move it around and the power connector still works smile

So the first thing on my chumby one is to create the /psp/rfs1/userhook1.  Type the following in the new file:

#!/bin/bash

Then change the permissions of the script so it is executable by running

chmod +x /psp/rfs1/userhook1

So it should look like this:

chumby:/psp/rfs1# ls -la
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 May  6 21:47 .
drwxr-xr-x   11 root     root         1024 May 10 20:26 ..
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           45 May  6 21:48 userhook1

So now when your chumby boots up it will run the mount command and mount the /mnt/storage/usb folder as /mnt/usb each time.  If the usb dongle gets plugged in it will remove this symbolic link.  I haven't tried it but I have heard it works.  Then to get your usb link back just reboot the chumby without the usb dongle.  Now all you need to do is place the alarmring.swf in the /mnt/storage/usb folder.

Let me know if you need more help.  I will be visiting the forums daily hopefully.

22 (edited by kabatronix 2010-05-13 00:36:18)

@likearaptor

thanxalot for your help smile

YEAAAH! this way it rocks! i think the "changemod" command was the essential thing.
i simply fell in love with those shiny old school buttons and the "don´t stop the music"-feature wink

btw, this mod should be an integrated chumby feature by default.

kabatronix

likearaptor wrote:

The easiest would be to put the swf on a usb drive and then plug in your usb drive.  On my chumby one I have it create the /mnt/usb folder on boot and link it to /mnt/storage/usb where I placed my swf.

Can you please explain this a bit more?
It is very confusing.

So first I turn on the ssh daemon by clicking on the info button in the control panel, click the pi symbol in the upper right corner and click on SSHD.  Now you will be able to ssh into your chumby, oryn this special screen where you clicked on SSHD there will be an ip address.  You can use Putty or you can use a program like Win SCP to connect to your chumby.  You will enter the ip address in the program and connect to it as the user root and leave the password blank.

Create the folder "usb" in the /mnt/storage directory.  Then upload the .swf to the usb folder.  Then you should be able to follow the rest of my instructions.  Let me know if you need any thing else

Just wanted to say that this is soooo cool! Thanks for sharing! smile  play pokies online