Topic: [Dash] Private widget uploads need to be reviewed? Ack!

Since there isn't a developer forum yet I thought I would post here.

I have a Dash and I'm trying some very basic Hello World type widget development.

Much to my surprise when I upload my widget to get it onto my Dash as a private widget it get's put into a "Review" state. I'm not able to immediately put the widget on the device and test it.

This has to be a mistake. I'm hoping that this review process should only be for Public widgets and not ones marked private otherwise development is going to be impossible for this device.

Anyone have some insight into the Dash development lifecycle here?

Re: [Dash] Private widget uploads need to be reviewed? Ack!

I guess I'm the only one trying this then...

If there is a generous soul out there with knowledge of how to load a widget local on the Dash feel free to send me a message or post here.

I tried the xml trick on the usb, but it didn't seem to work. Nothing happened actually.

The developer back end has been in many different states recently.  Only last week did it start not letting private widgets through.  I have had one up for almost a week now and nothing.  So you're not alone. smile

The important thing to remember is that in this situation we need to pound on Sony to make this happen.  As far as I know, chumby, ind. does not control this aspect, as they do on their devices.  I'm sure they have seen your post, and most likely have passed that information on to the right contacts.  But again, they can only do so much.

I personally am a little disappointed with the more closed nature Sony has put the dash under, but again, this is outside of chumby's control on this device.

I am sure with a little patience everything will be smoothed out.  The release seems a little rushed to me.

Cheers.

I'm looking in to this to make sure the policy isn't a side effect of something on our end.

In any case, running widgets from USB will *not* work on this device.

I agree that developing widgets is going to be tougher for this device than it is for the regular chumbys.

pounce - did you upload this widget through www.chumby.com, dash.chumby.com, or dash.sonydeveloper.com?

I think the only public access point is http://dash.sonydeveloper.com/

This is where I had the private widget is pending issue.

Cheers.

Duane wrote:

pounce - did you upload this widget through www.chumby.com, dash.chumby.com, or dash.sonydeveloper.com?

Duane,

I've only tried the Sony site. I just followed the product directions smile

I saw a few references around that it might be possible to register the Dash on the chumby site and potentially get widgets on the device?

The user name is an email address on the device at the moment.

I've been pinging as many people as I can locate to get the development stuff working. It's a nice opportunity to get some good visibility and create some interesting apps. The Device screams out for Native apps that can take advantage of the real estate.

It's going to be a pain in the butt to develop on this thing using the website upload even if they get the workflow ironed out so there isn't a review period for private apps.

It appears that private widgets will only work if the widget and device are associated with an account that has a valid chumby username - in other words, the widgets are restricted on a "pure Sony" account.

If you have a pre-existing chumby account and associate the Sony account and device, it should work. I'm not sure how Sony's upload page works (they made it, not us), but if you upload through www.chumby.com or dash.chumby.com, it should work for you.

Ok. I have a pure Sony account at this time. How can I get a Chumby username and associate my Sony account at this point?

I ordered a few Chumby ones last week that haven't arrived yet.

You can create a chumby account without registered a chumby with it.

Here's what I'd try:

1) Create a chumby account using our site, with a simple user name, and use the same email address as your Sony account.   Unlike Sony, we don't key off email address, so you can have more than one account with the same email.

2) Deregister your dash from the Sony site - log in to Essentials, then hit "View or Change Your Account", then "View Devices", then hit the "Unlink" button for your unit.  Not sure why this link is buried in this part of the site, but whatever.

3) Reboot your dash, then register it again - once you get through the Sony portion of the registration, you'll want to hit "Manage your DASH devices", and you should be prompted for which chumby account to associate it with - choose the new account.

If you like, I can nuke the older account for you when you're done.

If this doesn't work, call Sony support smile

Hi Duane,

Still seems to be having an issue, unless I'm not following the process properly.

I deleted my "pure" Sony account, and associated dash device registration.

Logged in with my chumby.com email and password and was prompted to associate the account, so I did.

Went to http://dash.sonydeveloper.com, uploaded application.  Set as private.

Returned a page with: "Your application has been submitted. You will be contacted via email when the application has been either approved or rejected."

Under Develop->My dashboard it's listed as "Pending Review".

Can't seem to find it in the directory when adding it to a channel back at the dash.chumby.com site.

Log in to www.chumby.com with your username and password and see what your account says there.

We have no control over what's happening on sonydeveloper.com

Here's what I see - you have two accounts on our service:

1) A "pure Sony" account with has the Dash associated with it
2) A "chumby" account with a single widget and no devices.

The two accounts have different email addresses .

Duane wrote:

Log in to www.chumby.com with your username and password and see what your account says there.

We have no control over what's happening on sonydeveloper.com

Ahh, nice.  It looks like I don't need to noodle around at the sonydeveloper site at all now?

Cheers.

Duane,

Thanks a bunch. I have this working now. What a relief.

Is it possible to load a widget by doing a man in the middle proxy between the device and the server? What I am thinking is upload a dummy widget like dummy.swf. With my proxy configure it to respond to requests for dummy.swf with an swf from a local share. With my development process now I can just drop a file on the share and load the channel with the dummy widget. This then makes a request and my proxy returns the local file.

Would that work for the Dash?

pounce wrote:

Duane,

Thanks a bunch. I have this working now. What a relief.

Is it possible to load a widget by doing a man in the middle proxy between the device and the server? What I am thinking is upload a dummy widget like dummy.swf. With my proxy configure it to respond to requests for dummy.swf with an swf from a local share. With my development process now I can just drop a file on the share and load the channel with the dummy widget. This then makes a request and my proxy returns the local file.

Would that work for the Dash?

Hi,

You could upload your dummy.swf and use a loadMovie to bring in your changing one (for example content.swf) depending on your planned functionality.

It's possible you may run into some caching issues.  The dash does not have a manual channel refresh like the chumby devices do.

Cheers.