Re: YouStreams-Widget

Can I use YouStreams to stream the audio output from my PC to my Chumby? If so, where can I get info on setting up the file/audio server?

Anyone know of any possible way to stream live audio output from Win7 to a Chumby?

Thanks!
Adam

Wow, this is exactly what I have been looking for and even requested ever since i got my chumby.
Gonna try it asap.
Thank you, thank you for this.

Ok couldn't wait to get it installed.
Really awesome widget. My default widget forever.

One request - A volume indicator for C1? Preferably a digital numbered one as this would take less space. Sometimes I found that when moving the c1 knob too quickly the volume change lagged and I did not know what level it was going to come out at.

The other thing I found was that I had the simple digital clock widget immediately after youstreams. If night mode checked in youstream, after the timer elapsed it blinked into night mode for 1sec then into the simple digital clock widget. Also I did not have a stream playing at the time.
Anyway I preferred to remove the simple digital clock and night mode worked fine thereafter.

Helper script?

i don´t know what changed, but today the first time i saw a screen when starting podcast like:

"you must install a helper script -  must podcast won´t work.... please visit youstream.appspot.com"

i just pres okay and all works fine.

what will this message want me to know? where can i get this script?

55 (edited by specific 2010-04-29 02:05:13)

Great widget. Definately one of my most used ones on the Chumby.

I don't know if this has been suggested before but it would be nice to have a 'Play on Start' or 'Default' radio-button option alongside the configuration webpages that would automatically bypass the first screen and start that stream when the widget loaded. Then YouSteams could be used for alarms (I think)?

Any luck running this on a Sony Dash? I've loaded it but just get a blank (black) screen.

I have yet another request...

This has become my default widget and I love it but
is it possible to have the timer left at the last value used (like when entering night mode on chumby) rather than at the default value?

Cheers

58 (edited by Ratzfatz 2010-05-22 02:04:46)

@spunk: Please ignore this message, it's a bug, but I hope it doesn't show too often.

Volume-slider/Volume-Indicator: There's already a volume slider which is shown on the web-page and Chumby-classic. Since the volume-knob on the C1 is very coarse, I think it makes sense to include it for the c1 too. I'll put the volume-value (0-99) to the right side of it. O.k.?

Sony Dash: YouStreams does not work on the DASH, sorry.

Play Stream on start/ use for alarm: I'll think about that...

Good stuff Ratz, thanks for taking the time about the volume thing.
Sorry to be a pain but is there the possibility of leaving the timer at the last used value rather than at the default?

Ratzfatz wrote:

@spunk: Please ignore this message, it's a bug, but I hope it doesn't show too often

not often -  till now just one time

Sony Dash: Due to some limitations of the device, YouStreams will definitely not work on the Dash. You shouldn't even see it in Dash's widget-gallery.

@ApathyCares: You mean: when the sleep-timer is not yet running and you enter the sleep-timer-screen, it should show the value that you chose last time when you started the timer instead of the default of 25(?) minutes? I think that should be possible. I'll append it to the todo-list, but at the moment I'm quite lazy...

Yes that's exactly what I mean Ratz. Thanks for this great effort.

Ratzfatz:

Thanks for the reply. REALLY disappointed about the lack of compatibility w/ the Dash - makes this thing a heck of a lot less appealing. Can you give me a brief overview of why YouStreams is not compatible (it'll give me more ammo to snipe Sony with)?

chrisjscott wrote:

why YouStreams is not compatible

here the answer from DUANE

Ratzfatz,

First thanks for the awesome widget.  Just loaded it today and I am trying to customize the podcast section.  I have been able to get some podcasts to work, but many of the "tech" podcasts I listen to have rss feeds with addresses like:
feed://macosken.libsyn.com/rss
and I get the message "bad: unable to verify, but may work!", but alas it does not work on my Chumby Classic. 

What do I need to try and/or what other information do you need?

Thanks!

Try to replace "feed://" by "http://" .

Thanks Ratzfatz, the replacement worked.  Too obvious I guess.

68 (edited by Ratzfatz 2010-05-22 02:05:10)

Sorry folks, there is an annoying BUG in the latest version: While playing Radio or a Podcast, YouStreams may accidentally return to its Entry-Screen, and then get cycled away by the next widget.
SORRY FOR THIS! I'll try to fix this a.s.a.p.

Update: fixed.

Thanks Ratzfatz for this awesome widget! It truly has become one of my absolute favs on my Chumby.

I've been noticing the recent changes like the newly added volume slider (helpful to CC users) and the new "get podcasts" button.

Keep up the great work!  I won't be buying a Sony Dash as it cannot use this widget.  It is a must have.

Update: Widget "remembers" last Radio-Category, -Station and the Start-Value of the Sleep-Timer.
For the Adventurous: create a widget-channel named yswakeup and put YouStreams inside. Then define an Alarm (in the control-panel) and chose "Play yswakeup" in the "Set action after alarm"-screen. When played in this channel, YouStreams will start the Radio automatically. When you press the Station-Name, YouStreams will save the current category, station and volume (only when played in the yswakeup-channel).
Just try it, but please understand that I can give no guarantee that it will always work.
Don't blame me if you miss the train and lose your job!

Greetings!

I need some help getting my "youstreams" to work properly.  I have installed it onto my Sony Dash, I then went to youstreams.appspot.com and saved the link to my flash drive - I unplugged my Dash, inserted the flash drive, plugged the Dash back in - after the Dash rebooted, I removed the flash drive - went back to the widget and it still won't work.  When I go back to the youstreams site and refresh the page - it still says that I have not installed the script.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

-Kathy-

Whoops... guess I should have read ALL the posts... it won't work with the DASH???  THEN why does Sony put it on their site then as a Dash application??????  That's nuts!!!

Duaaaaaaaane !!!

Have you considered adding a simple message for Dash users that pops up if the widget is on a Dash?

I have. It's already inside, but
- how do I determine if it runs on a dash ? Duane said the hw-version will be "11.0" (http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=28792#p28792). I check this variable in the widget and display a message if its 11.0
- why should it even show up in the dash-widgets if it cannot run on a dash ???