Topic: Mixing local widgets into a channel without USB drive

My one USB port on my chumby one is now occupied with a USB-to-serial converter, so there's no room for a USB drive (I don't want a USB hub just yet).

I'd like to get my local widget into a channel--it uses ASnative() pipe calls, so it can't be uploaded--but the wiki entry for mixing local widgets into a channel states:

"chumby...checks for a file called profile.xml on the USB device mounted at /mnt/usb"

Can I somehow get this to work from /psp instead of /mnt/usb?

Re: Mixing local widgets into a channel without USB drive

If you're not using a usb drive, try these steps from a shell on the device

mkdir /mnt/storage/drive
  rm /mnt/usb
  ln -sf /mnt/storage/drive /mnt/usb

This will create a folder in /mnt/storage called drive and link /mnt/usb to it.  You want to use /mnt/storage instead of /psp as that volume has about 1.4GB free on the Chumby One while /psp only has 120MB allocated to it.

When you plug in a USB drive, it should replace the /mnt/usb link, but you can still access that through /mnt/storage/drive, then just redo the ln command after you remove the drive.

OK, that works, but it's not persistent.  When I rebooted my chumby, the soft link went away.  I guess I'll have to add

to an init script somewhere.

Sounds like a job for fstab? I'm still assessing whether to buy a Chumby, but it's looking pretty good so far. big_smile

You can create a script at /psp/rfs1/userhook2 that says

#!/bin/sh

and it will be executed at bootup.  userhook0, 1, and 2 all will be run but at different times, with #2 done just before the control panel starts.

Thanks for the information!  This forum is a great customer (developer) service!  Most of my questions have been answered in less than 12 hours.

You chumbians never leave the forum, do you? :-)

i´m a bit late, but searching this sites brought me here.

i´m plain dumb with linux, so please don´t diss me to hard. my programming skills are somewhere around zero, my strength is hardware, which is not applicable here...

this is my problem:

i would like to use an alternative alarmscreen on my chumby one with the latest controlpanel 2.8.48.

file name is alarmring.swf

i do not want to start that from a usb-drive but from an internal folder.

so i created the following structure as mentioned above:

1. /mnt/storage/drive  (with "drive" being a new folder including the file alarmring.swf)
2. /psp/rfs1/userhook2 (with "rfs1" and "userhook2" being new folders)

inside "userhook2" i created a file "alarmring.sh" with the two lines mentioned above:

#!/bin/sh

well, this does not work, any alarm brings up the standard menu sad

so before i brick my chumby i would be pleased if someone could give me a hint,
probably i just forgot a simple but important detail...

thanx for your help smile

kabatronix