Topic: Cracked screen, needs fixin

I'm pretty sure I voided my warranty by taking the chumby out of its skin, so thats no help.
But I cracked my screen and am looking to fix it. I'm not skilled enough to do bunnies screen hack, but if I could buy the proper size screen from chumby, or something, maybe I could stumble through hooking it up? I don't know.
What should I do?

-BK

Re: Cracked screen, needs fixin

Flash the bunny symbol on a conveniently passing low-flying patch of clouds. Perhaps he will swoop in and fix it... or at least give you a part number for it.

Seriously though guys, what can I do? What can I buy besides a new chumby?

4 (edited by hoyeboye 2008-09-07 20:24:29)

Sorry to make a joke about it... I was hoping someone who knew something would give a serious response... so here's my serious response.

According to the Chumby Wiki, the LCD is a DataImage 320hx240v 16bpp TFT display with touchscreen. The Dataimage Part # for the 3.5" 320x240 TFT touchscreen display is FG030530D. If you check out the American Website for the product, it looks like you can contact someone in sales who might be able to direct you to a vendor. If you cannot purchase one, ask for the DataSheet and Mechanical Drawing. With those documents, you can compare it to two other 3.5" LCDs I have found on Mouser and Digikey. Be sure to compare the pin-outs as well as the physical dimensions of the LCD and the connectors.

Newhaven Display Mechanical Drawing and Spec Sheet
Newhaven Display on Mouser.com for about $16.

Berquist Display Spec Sheet
Berquist Display on Digikey for about $36.

I hope this response was more helpful. Good luck.

Its no problem, I wasn't trying to be snotty smile
Thanks for the information!
I'll let you guys know what I found out, and hopefully I can fix it.

-BK

Were you ever able to fix the screen or find a suitable replacement?

BK,
We can sell you a new LCD for $29.95.  Which chumby model do you have, 3.7 or 3.8?  A 3.7 will have a stainless steel charm button, the 3.8's have a plastic charm button.
Just let me know if you still need one and we can get this going.

-Sam

Sam,

My Chumby screen cracked too sad  Can I still order a replacement screen?

Thanks!
D

Would other parts be available?  My C1 is working great but it would be cool to go to the store website and click on chumby parts and be able to order say a new wireless usb adapter, screen, or anything else that might go bad.

Logistically, that's really difficult - we don't actually maintain a local inventory of device parts.

The devices are mass-produced in China, and that's where all the parts are, purchased in lots.

Another cracked screen here needs replacin... sad   

Any chance there's another on hand?  Or at least get a link to where I can order one?

I have the Chumby One

Please contact support @ http://www.chumby.com/pages/help_support if you need any replacement parts.  We'll have to check and see what we have floating around.