Topic: Powering External Devices with Larger Chumby One Power Supply?

I'm working on a project that's going to add a bunch of smart RGB LED modules to the chumby one.  I'm controlling them via chumby's i2c port, and it would be nice from both a convenience and an EMI standpoint to have my added connector provide not only SDA and SCL but also +5vdc and ground from the Chumby.  My problem is that my peak load will be 750mA with nominal around 400mA.  I'd like to use a larger power supply so the Chumby doesn't brown out if the battery is charging and music is playing etc.

From a Chumby hardware perspective, is it OK if I simply buy a 5V 2.5A power supply, splice in the connector from my current power supply since it is a pretty odd size, and use that?  I'm then going to grab +5v from pin 18, and ground from pins 3, 4 or 12 of the chumbilical. 

Just want to be sure there isn't some in-line fuse or power circuitry that won't like this.  Thanks,

Dean

Re: Powering External Devices with Larger Chumby One Power Supply?

There is a fuse in-line, but it probably won't trip at the levels you're talking about. It's a resettable fuse, so even if you do you can just let it cool off and you'll be okay.

Note that of the 2A provided, less than 1A is routinely used by the system if you're not charging a battery or playing loud music. 0.6A of the 2A is parceled out for battery charging. So you may be able to get away with using the default power supply as long as you don't also try to use the battery at the same time as the smart LEDs.

7BAA 2E53 01C1 DCFF 497B  E7F0 9699 A303 78F0 D9B9