Topic: Non-destructively removing the Chumby One bottom

Having dismantled my Chumby One to get at the debug serial port and SD card, it's getting a bit annoying to have the bottom panel dangling off the board by the FM antenna. The problem is it seems to be epoxied at both ends, and the only way I can see of separating the two pieces is by cutting it.

Has anyone successfully taken the bottom off their Chumby without cutting the antenna and, if so, how?

Re: Non-destructively removing the Chumby One bottom

iFixit suggests you use an "iPod opening tool" to pull the epoxy out.  You might be able to use a screwdriver to dislodge the glue.

I carefully used a small (watch/glasses style) screwdriver to cut/pry out the glue and stuffed the FM antenna wire inside my chumby when I opened it for my serial mod.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

The FM antenna on mine was held into the bottom panel with something more akin to hot glue than epoxy...

cdavies wrote:

Having dismantled my Chumby One to get at the debug serial port and SD card, it's getting a bit annoying to have the bottom panel dangling off the board by the FM antenna. The problem is it seems to be epoxied at both ends, and the only way I can see of separating the two pieces is by cutting it.

Has anyone successfully taken the bottom off their Chumby without cutting the antenna and, if so, how?

I just had the bottom off mine, albeit with the wire still attached. The outside end of the antenna wire has a piece of heat shrink tubing covering over the end folded over. If you cut away the heat shrink with a utility knife, the unfolded wire would fit through the hole.

Or, you could make the hole in the bottom bigger where the wire comes through.

Once it is free of the bottom, it can be coiled up and put inside.

I just pushed the end of the antenna into the bottom as far as it wold go, then coiled up the wire on the right side next to the speaker.