Topic: Questions/Beta Order Question

I'm new to the forum. I have been watching the Chumby grow up from Foo Camp 2006 to almost beta testing time now.

I wanted to know how the beta testing ordering will go. Will normal people like me (if I get chosen) be able to order a Chumby online? I heard from some where that the beta testing Chumbys will be for Chumby employes only. I looked at the Blog but it doesn't say to much about it

On the personal wake up,does this still work if the power goes out and Chumby is on battery power?

Is there a way to dim the screen on the Chumby at night? So like at 8:00pm the screen on the Chumby dims so that on can sleep and still look at the screen every now and then. Then at like 6:00am the screen on Chumby goes back to normal.

Re: Questions/Beta Order Question

We're in the process of doing "end-to-end" tests of the system - purchasing units through our e-commerce system, having the devices shipped from manufacturing, delivered to them, powered up, configured and run against the widget system.  Our first test, which happened about two weeks ago, was just with employees.  The test was a success.

In a couple of weeks, we'll be having a limited number of "beta" customers outside the company go through the same process.   A very limited people that requested untis through our web form (ie "Contact me when chumbys are ready!") will be contacted for participation in this program. These folks will be required to give us pretty constant feedback and will expecting frequent software updates.

After that, there will be another test with a larger sample, and after that, a full release.

We're not shipping batteries in the production units, however you'll be able to add one.  With a battery, if the DC power goes out, it should go into low power mode and wake up when the alarm goes off.

The production chumby has a "night mode" - the screen goes very dim with a dim digital clock displayed, and the device stops playing widgets - touching the screen or the squeeze sensor will take the device out of night mode.

Thanks for the information.

With the low power mode, Chumby won't contact the network? So if you don't add a battery then Chumby will just die?

Yes, without a battery and no DC power, then yes, it will not function.

I think that's a pretty reasonable expectation for any device that uses electricity.

Thanks! A couple of more questions:
1. When Chumby ships will there be any widgets loaded on them?

2. When you upgrade(major update) the software for the Chumby are there plans to charge people to upgrade there Chumbys?

3. It sounds like there won't be a charge for the service, but you are saleing the Chumby at almost cost. How do you plan to make any money?

4. Are there any plans to offer extra services that go beyond the basic functions of the Chumby that people will be required to pay for?

1) The chumby is a lighweight player - widgets are pulled from our servers on demand, not stored on the device itself.  This makes it more like a TV or radio than an MP3 player. It does, however, cache the widgets as it has room.

This has the pleasant side effect that you're always seeing the latest version of any widget, and that you can have mutiple chumbys showing the same widgets with the same settings.

2) We are not planning on charging for firmware updates.

3) You'll be seeing the occasional ad, and some widgets will be branded and/or sponsored.

4) It's possible there may be charges for certain premuim content in the future - realtime stock quotes, purchased music, etc, however there are no such systems currently under development.

It's also possible that we may charge subscriptions if we can't offset our costs with ads.  We're doing everything we can to avoid it becaseu we're not keen on a two-tier service.

We will be offering accessories that add capabilities to the device.

Ok!
One last question(I hope). Speaking of the accessories, will you offer some type of package deal where you can order a Chumby and a USB Wireless NIC that works with Chumby? What about offering a wired NIC USB that works with Chumby?

coolerelmo wrote:

Ok!
One last question(I hope). Speaking of the accessories, will you offer some type of package deal where you can order a Chumby and a USB Wireless NIC that works with Chumby? What about offering a wired NIC USB that works with Chumby?

Not sure I understand the first one - the chumby includes an internal USB wireless NIC, which is how it connects to the Internet. It's a Xterasys 3135G, whihc uses the Ralink chipset. Alpha chumbys used the 3134G, which was based on the ZD1211 chipset.

As far as USB wired NICs go, we've added the drivers for the most common versions - I've used a Linksys USB200M which I picked up cheap from Frys, which uses the ASIX chipset.  Since they're not supported by the current Control Panel, you'd have to configure them yourself manually, which is pretty easy.

Duane wrote:

In a couple of weeks, we'll be having a limited number of "beta" customers outside the company go through the same process.   A very limited people that requested untis through our web form (ie "Contact me when chumbys are ready!") will be contacted for participation in this program. These folks will be required to give us pretty constant feedback and will expecting frequent software updates.

So.. any idea on when I'll hear that I was choosen to be amongst the "First 50"?

big_smile

:: Mark

Duane wrote:
coolerelmo wrote:

Ok!

Not sure I understand the first one - the chumby includes an internal USB wireless NIC, which is how it connects to the Internet. It's a Xterasys 3135G, whihc uses the Ralink chipset. Alpha chumbys used the 3134G, which was based on the ZD1211 chipset.

As far as USB wired NICs go, we've added the drivers for the most common versions - I've used a Linksys USB200M which I picked up cheap from Frys, which uses the ASIX chipset.  Since they're not supported by the current Control Panel, you'd have to configure them yourself manually, which is pretty easy.

Ok, I thought that the Chumby didn't come with a internal NIC, I thought that you had to buy one. Well, I did the "beta" first 50 sign-up so I guess, I will wait and see what happens.

coolerelmo wrote:

Ok!

I thought that Coolerlmo was asking if there was a second NIC for connecting to the computer for a quick ad-hoc connection if you don't already have wireless.  This may not be a bad idea.

In the future would it be possible to have a little 'Chumblet' that would be a little flash drive and a wireless nic?  You could auto launch whatever chumby server you like (ie. local music streamer) on the host machine, and then also have a brand new ad-hoc wireless connection for the chumby.

I ask because I plan on taking the chumby to work with me (and plugging it in when I get there).  And the wireless here is patchy at best (not mission critical).

Is this kind of product too much to ask?  Or should I Just put together a usb hub, flash drive and get my own nic?  Because if you don't sell them, I'm totally putting together a package deal with an enclosure.