Topic: External battery for Chumby One

I've been using an external battery to power my various projects running on the Chumby Guts - either the ER-PHOTO or the Aluratek battery, both of which have worked just fine.  However, I just picked up a Chumby One to play with that, and I wanted to explore external battery options for that (the hour or two off the internal NP-120 wouldn't be enough for my purposes).  Because the Chumby One power requirements are different from the classic Chumby, I wanted to ask around here before I took the plunge and accidentally fry my Chumby.

As I understand it from the Wiki, the Chumby One needs a 5V/2A power supply.  Would this potentially fit the bill:
http://www.bixnet.com/hicamiexbapa.html ?

It's a lot more than I'd like to pay, but I want to make sure I'm looking on the right path.  A lot of the external batteries I'm finding are 5V but only 1.5A - I'm assuming that would make for an unhappy Chumby, yes?

Re: External battery for Chumby One

Provided you're not using the NP-120, 1.5A ought to be fine.

I think (and these measurements are very hand-wavy) the wifi card draws around 300 mA, the LCD and backlight around 200 mA, and the CPU and RAM around 200 mA.  Rough numbers, everything comes in at under 1A.  If you plug something into the USB port, that can draw up to 500 mA.  If you charge the battery, that can take another 600 mA, which is why you need the 2A supply with a battery.

We actually have a cable that has a USB port on one end and a chumby one power connector on the other.  With no battery installed and nothing in its external USB port, a chumby one can actually run powered entirely off of a PC USB port.

Thanks for the info.  I have a a Flash file running locally, off a USB drive, so I'd need that extra 500mA.  But good to know that as long as I don't use a battery, the 1.5A should be good.

How long do you think a battery like this would last?