Topic: How good is the FM Tuner on the C1?

I have two original Chumbies and I am thinking about replacing the one in the bedroom with a C1. The main reason for this would be to have the FM radio function. Unfortunately my favorite station comes in so so on a standard clock radio and I am wondering how good the tuner in in the C1. Unfortunately this radio station broadcasts in WMA format on the internet so there is no "easy" way to stream to the Chumby. I am not interested in having a media server up and running just so I can listen in online. So if anyone can give me a quick review of the tuner performance I would appreciate it.

-HuckFinn

Re: How good is the FM Tuner on the C1?

Which station are you interested in and what part of Chicago are you in? I'm also in Chicago I can take a listen to see how well it comes in.

And in case Duane is monitoring this post....what exactly is the reason the Chumby cannot handle WMA streams?  Technical? licensing?  What?

JJM02351 wrote:

And in case Duane is monitoring this post....what exactly is the reason the Chumby cannot handle WMA streams?  Technical? licensing?  What?

licensing, there are a few posts about that floating around.

My C1 doesn't have very good FM Tuner performance, but then I rarely ever use it anyway. I am a Pandora fan and wake up to it each morning.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I listen to 95.1 WIIL Rock, they broadcast out of Pleasant Prarie, WI. I am in the Crystal Lake area so it is just on the edge of their coverage area.

Gompka, if you could test it out and tell me approximately where you are located that would be a huge help.

Thanks again.

-HuckFinn

huckfinn wrote:

I listen to 95.1 WIIL Rock, they broadcast out of Pleasant Prarie, WI. I am in the Crystal Lake area so it is just on the edge of their coverage area.

Gompka, if you could test it out and tell me approximately where you are located that would be a huge help.

Thanks again.

I am in Norridge, IL today was actually the first day i tried out the FM radio and its not very good. 95.1 just barely comes in, i can hear it quietly in the background. The stations that usually come in clear in the car don't really come in very well on the chumby, maybe if i rigged the antenna up higher or closer to a window it would but on my desk in the middle of the room its not too good.

I just got my Chumby One yesterday.  Unfortunately the FM radio won't pickup any of the weaker stations the clock radio it is replacing does.  So no NPR unless I stream it.