Topic: Losing sound after multiple screen touches

Hi-

I've been having this problem for a while now, but it seems to be getting "touchier" (so to speak).  When I touch the screen too many times in a row (typically, when I'm setting up the Shoutcast station that I use when I go to bed), the sound stops working, except for kind of a "pop" when I touch the screen.  I then need to reboot the Chumby, and the sound works again, at least until I hit the screen too many times in a row again (last night, for instance, it quit working four times as I tried to set the sleep timer). 

I first noticed it when playing a game.  After touching the screen a bunch of times, I'd get the "pop" noise and no sound until rebooting.  I stopped playing the games, finally, but now the problem seems to be getting worse.  It also seems to be related to how frequently I touch the screen (if I take a break for a minute or two in between, it seems to not crap out on me).

Unfortunately, using Shoutcast involves lots of touches.

Any suggestions?

Re: Losing sound after multiple screen touches

Hmmm, that's a new on on us.  We'll try to reproduce.

The "pop" you're describing sounds like you have "touchclick" enabled (from the Settings->Volume screen).

Yeah, I do have touchclick enabled, but that's not the sound it makes.  It changes from the normal touchclick sound to something that sounds more like when you thump your finger on (or maybe "spit" into) a microphone (if that makes sense).  Definitely a different sound, and that's when you know the sound won't work anymore, and you have to reboot (either a soft or hard boot will do the trick).

Hmm, that sounds like the hardware went wonky.

The "touchclick" sound is built into the hardware - the touchscreen and the audio subsystem are actually the same chip, which is why it offers touchclick.  This means that software is not involved in any way with the implementation of touchclick - and that would seem to mean that if it acts weird like this, it may be that the hardware lost its cookies.

This is also consistent with your description of tapping the screen causing this to happen.

Please contact Customer Support and refer to this thread.

Yeah, it seemed "hardwarish" to me, though having a reboot fix it made me wonder.  I'll try disabling touchclick and see if that makes a difference - a small price to pay if I can "touch it" as much as I want. ;-)

Tried disabling touchclick, but sadly, still managed to get the sound to crap out by touching it too much.  Seems like my mom warned me about that.  :-)

Yeah, you probably should talk to CS about getting this unit swapped out.

I've had this thing for quite a while now - since something like March 2008 - so I reckon I'm SOL, warranty-wise.

pjsauter wrote:

I've had this thing for quite a while now - since something like March 2008 - so I reckon I'm SOL, warranty-wise.

Come into chat or shoot us an email referencing this ticket and we will sort something out.
http://www.chumby.com/pages/help_support

Matt
Chumby Customer Support