Topic: Brightness Settings Acting Screwy

I was thrilled when the brightness settings were added to the new control panel, so I set up some custom alarms to take advantage of the settings.

But lately the brightness alarms haven't been working properly.  Sometimes they don't happen at all.  Sometimes the brightness setting is changed but changes back when the next alarm (unrelated to brightness) kicks in, the brightness setting reverts.  And sometimes, if the Chumby is powered down with one brightness setting (say, bright), the next time I power up, it will be the opposite (dim).

What's going on?

Re: Brightness Settings Acting Screwy

Hmmm not sure - we'll look into it.

More information:

It appears that Chumby "remembers" whatever brightness setting is selected manually.  So it will switch back and forth using the alarms, but when a non-brightness-related alarm goes off (like a channel change), the brightness will default back to whatever was last set manually in the settings.

FWIW, I first noticed this problem not long after I attached a 9V battery to the (unsupported) pigtail inside the Chumby.  I've since removed the battery, and report back if this resolves the issue.

Just wanted to add that MSlafka, you're not alone - I've seen some unexpected brightness changes via alarms. Haven't had a chance to investigate though, and in the mean time am being blinded every morning by it wink

Even more information:

Disregard what I said about the 9V battery.  I removed it, and the issue was unaffected.  Apparently the timing was just a coincidence.

You might want to check this thread as it sounds related.  It's a bug and they are working on trying to figure it out now.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=3841

Thanks

Has any progress been made on this?  I'm still experiencing the same issues (consistently).  Is there any more information that I can provide to help debug this issue?

Yes, I think we've found the bug and fixed it - it's in QA.

Cool!  Thanks!