Topic: Whoooeeee!!! It's Like Christmas in July! New F/W AND Control Panel!!!

Duane, what a lovely surprise big_smile

Anything special we should know about it?

Re: Whoooeeee!!! It's Like Christmas in July! New F/W AND Control Panel!!!

Release notes, more info here. The major bug fixes are listed there, but there are actually lots of smaller bugs that have also been fixed.

There are also a couple of new Easter Eggs that I'll document on the wiki.

After update, my beta control panel will no longer load, even though it is (and always has been) selected on my chumby's dashboard.
Also missing my favorite Shoutcast Radio channel.

Other than that, don't see much difference in the upgrade.

When we do a full release, the Beta Control Panel and the production Control Panel are identical.

Once there's a new Beta, if will show up automatically for folks that have it assigned to their units.

We don't control the station list for SHOUTcast - that's done by their servers.  There's another post somewhere that explains how SHOUTcast works - if a station is "missing", then it has nothing to do with the Control Panel.

If you've been using the Beta Control Panel all along, then you're not likely to see much of a change for the release, since what we do for the release is that much the software that's in beta becomes production.

However, there was at least one change between 2.8.34 and 2.8.36 - the inclusion of 3 new alarm tones.

There were a few important user-facing changes to the firmware - we eliminated the little video flicker that was happening between each widget, and we fixed the issue with the LED on the wifi dongle that was bothering some people.  The Flash Player has a bunch of minor fixes that were interfering with some widgets, and we fixed support for a the Apple USB Ethernet adapter, as well as some DLink adapters that folks were having trouble with.  As far as the firmware was concerned, this was mainly a bug fix release.

For the hackers in the audience, there are a couple of interesting additions to the firmware that we left as little treasures to find.

My relationship with my Chumby has been one of love and hate since we got together a year and a half ago. However, last night all tensions were resolved by the addition of the 'Dark' button. Finally I don't have to turn my back on Chumby because of the light coming off it! My feelings are now only those of affection. Thank you so much.

Love the sleep sounds as well - great fun, and perfect in combination with the music timer!

YUS!!!

Had to register to show my appreciation of the dark button.  Updated Chumby this morning and there it was.  I tapped it and lifted Chumby up to the skies (ceiling) in celebration.  It wasn't that bad before, but still.  ;x

Haven't tried out the sleep sounds yet, I usually go to SomaFM Drone Zone for that, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again for updating Chumby.  I love mine so much and it keeps getting better.  smile

(Yeah, I know this thread was for the beta, but I felt awkward making a new thread to gush on the dark button.)

Words can not express my appreciation for this update!

Thank you so much for the music timer!  The music timer alone opens a whole new function and value for me.  I have always wanted to use my chumby as an internet radio sleep timer.  It's so much nicer with this solution.

There's lots of nice additions - thanks guys!

Duane, did you ever document the new eggs on the wiki?

Joan
wohali@EFNet or freenode

Yes, I think I documented everything.