Re: Which wired ethernet devices will work?

Quick update: 1 of the 3 linksys units died. The trendnet is still running strong.

If you are buying a new ethernet adapter specificially for your chumby, I would recommend this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6833156133

Hopefully this holds throughout the weekend and beyond. I will report back again and eventually post some pics of our unique chumby installation.

-Vince
http://cliqklabs.com

It appears that the chipset specified for the Apple device was not correct - it more closely resembles a Belkin device, not the Linksys device.

We'll update the driver accordingly.

28 (edited by samuel337 2009-05-09 18:03:42)

Interesting. I had modified asix.c to include the Apple USB Ethernet adapter IDs, and it worked fine with firmware 1.6 (except it dropped out at random hourly intervals, and needed a restart to reconnect.).

asix is the Linksys style device, and pegasus is the Belkin style device I believe. Maybe Apple's changed the internal hardware in the newer adapters?

My Apple USB Ethernet adapter is model A1277, EMC 2147.

EDIT: It doesn't work out of the box though with firmware 1.7. I'm looking at recompiling it at the moment, using the 1.6 kernel source (as it doesn't seem like the 1.7 kernel source has been released yet).

EDIT #2: I have recompiled the asix module with the changes I made previously, and it works on firmware 1.7, with the same random drop out issue unfortunately. I looked around for newer revisions of the source file (without downloading every release and extracting the source), but the ones I found were too new (required a newer kernel version due to socket buffer changes).

samuel337 wrote:

My Apple USB Ethernet adapter is model A1277, EMC 2147.

My adapter is the same model and EMC number.

Hi. I forgot to post this sooner, but I purchased the Trendnet device suggested by VinceC and it is working perfectly. Thanks Vince!

No problem odavy!

We have Chumbies on Trendnet adapters at our installation that have been up and running for over a month with no issues, disconnects, or reboots. Looks like we have a winner!

Still not sure what's wrong with the other driver, but we're happy using trendnets for now.

When is that Chumby reference design stuff coming out for general use? Will that have an ethernet port built in?

-Vince

Based on this thread I got a D-Link DUB-E100 but it looks like it's not recognized by driver at all.

Searching the web reveals they've changed the USB ID in the current revisvion 1B:

// DLink DUB-E100 H/W Ver B1
  USB_DEVICE (0x07d1, 0x3c05),
  .driver_info = (unsigned long) &ax88772_info,
}, {
  // DLink DUB-E100 H/W Ver B1 Alternate
  USB_DEVICE (0x2001, 0x3c05),
  .driver_info = (unsigned long) &ax8

Does anybody happen to have an updated driver including this change? If not I'll try to get a Trendnet instead.

hansonic wrote:

Based on this thread I got a D-Link DUB-E100 but it looks like it's not recognized by driver at all.

Searching the web reveals they've changed the USB ID in the current revisvion 1B:

// DLink DUB-E100 H/W Ver B1
  USB_DEVICE (0x07d1, 0x3c05),
  .driver_info = (unsigned long) &ax88772_info,
}, {
  // DLink DUB-E100 H/W Ver B1 Alternate
  USB_DEVICE (0x2001, 0x3c05),
  .driver_info = (unsigned long) &ax8

Does anybody happen to have an updated driver including this change? If not I'll try to get a Trendnet instead.

I've added the new USB device IDs to the asix driver and they will be included in the next firmware release.

34 (edited by hansonic 2009-07-25 12:51:41)

Ken wrote:

I've added the new USB device IDs to the asix driver and they will be included in the next firmware release.

Thanks Ken,

I've just downloaded the new firmware 1.7.1 including the changes and it was all looking great at first. The dongle is now recognized and turned on, but it's unable to receive an IP over DHCP when I choose to create a new wired connection. Manual setup also fails.

Can anybody confirm if the D-Link DUB-E100 works for them with the update or does the driver need more changes?

35 (edited by mnop 2009-08-14 07:02:09)

I found a TrendNet TU-Et100C (usb 1.1) at my local Los Angeles Fry's. (Good price at $10.)  My Chumby recognized it immediately and it works fine, although the Trendnet is a bit clunky in design and has a 3 foot permanently attached  cable, which I could do without.  There was only one in stock and there were plenty of the newer usb 2.0 versions, so I suspect the TU-Et100C is no longer manufactured. I had bought one of the usb 2.0 versions and it is only recognized on bootup and then vanishes during the loading of control panels.

Duane, maybe old news to you, but I was reading some older comments in another thread you made about wireless being more and more available. That may be true, but Chumby in the workplace is a problem for me right now. Wired is the only way I can go unless you want to start supporting EAP/PEAP. I bought my second Chumby specifically for use at work. I guess I'll go dig out my old Linksys USB adapter and see if that works.

samuel337 wrote:

Digging through the kernel source code, the following should work too if you follow the instructions for the Linksys USB200M adapter on the wiki page (http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … d_Ethernet).

Trendnet TU-ET100C
TrendNet TU2-ET100

Hi,
here in Germany this device is the one which I could found : TU-ET100C
Got mine vaa Amazon Germany for about 17EUR incl. Postage.
The other TrendNet could be found also on e*bay Germany but with a higher price....
I also did see a Linksys USB 200M, but only one

hi everybody,

i finally got my chumby classic a few days ago. Cool thing.
At the moment i'm having a little bit trouble getting my usb-ethernet-adapter working :
-  DLink DUB-E100

It is recognized by the chumby (eth0) but starting udhcpc (manually via ssh or with debugchumby)
i always get the error  "no lease, failing".

Any suggestions ?

Have you tried plugging in the USB Ethernet to your own computer and seeing if you can get a connection.  Verify that first before going into the Chumby.

40 (edited by alang-munich 2010-04-27 03:14:11)

yes, dub-e100 works on my pc (win). no problems there.
at my opinion, the chumby does not recognize the dub-e100 correct ?!

I will try and get another usb-device.

--> Update
finally got the apple-usb-ethernet-dongle.
Now everything is up and working fine.

Dear All,
I got myself a Linksys USB1000 which is listed in th wiki.
No work though.
From google rearch, it seems to have an ASIX chip inside.

Please help cos my girlfriend continuously complains on so-called electro-smog issue AND I wanted to use it in work place with no WiFi.

Thx in Advance 'n' Cheers from Nuremberg, Germany

Just the same misfortune as vrmuhr,

According on the compatible Ethernet to USB list, I bought the Linksys USB 1000 which did NOT work.
So I upgraded to the latest firmware and guess what …

it did not work too !

then tried with my Nintendo Wii adapter and all went ok.

It's time to remove this misleading entry (linksys  usb 1000) from the compatibility list, or better, put a new firmware able to handle this device.
(again, I'm using the chumby one).

Here's the problem with this sort of thing - manufacturers very often entirely replace the electronic guts of a device without changing the part number.  Sometimes, they'll sell identical units with *different* part numbers. Network adapters are the most common offenders.

It's very likely that there *was* a version of the Linksys USB 100 device that *did* work, but that somewhere along the line Linksys changed the electronics and now sell a different product with the same name.

I'm pretty sure this is the case - I have a Linksys USB 100 that does work, but it's about two years old.

Duane, you're mistaking, we (vrmuhr and I) are reporting about the Linksys USB 1000 (thousand) !
It's on the compatible devices list, and shouldn't.

Ah, I'm sorry - I guess I need new glasses since I didn't see the extra zero smile

Dear folks,
I now got the apple one and - ah-yeah - it works. Out of the box.

However,
it drops the connection after 2 - 3 hours.
Only way out is to re-plug or reboot.

Any idea which one does reliably work?
Cheers from swamp Nuremberg,
Volker

Hi all,

Any news about the drop problem with the APPLE Ethernet Usb Adapter ?

I want to buy it because it seems to be the only one model that has not flashing led when in use (as i sleep just next the Chumby, flashing leds are welcome ! )

Thanks for your answer.

Regards

Gilles

Hi,

Is somebody using a wired usb ethernet adapter with Chumby Classic without any problem of connection drops ?
I search an ethernet usb adapter that's working fine with the chumby and whithout any flashing led (for the network activity)
As it is for my sleeping room, my wife will cry if i use an adpater with led flashing !!
I looked for the Apple one, but it seem's that it do not work well with the Chumby.

thanks