Topic: 2.8.33 Alarm/Night Mode Bug?

I have an alarm that switches the display to night mode at 11pm every night. Since the upgrade to 2.8.33 Control Panel, it's failed to trigger at least twice, and may not be working at all (sometimes I disable the alarm that takes it out of night mode in the morning and it stays in that mode all day long).

This wasn't a problem with 2.8.20, regardless of firmware version.

Any other reports of this?

Re: 2.8.33 Alarm/Night Mode Bug?

OK, could you please send me the contents of your /psp/alarms file, at least the part that triggers this alarm?

Here you go:

<alarm name="Night mode" backupDelay="5" backup="0" action_param="on" action="nightmode" auto_dismiss="1" param_description="None" param="" arg="None" type="none" duration="30" snooze="5" enabled="1" time="1380" when="daily" />

Thanks

I purposely made sure that my Chumby was not in night mode yesterday morning, and night mode did kick in at some point during the day (I wasn't there, but I'm guessing 11pm . . . the scheduled time). So the problem seems intermittent, assuming it exists; I won't rule out human error and/or forgetfulness just yet wink

I'll keep monitoring the situation.

Please do - there were some functionality changes with regard to the night mode alarm action, so I'm very interested in issues/problems with it.

I also noticed that the alarm to start the night mode wasn't fired since the 2.8.33 update, but after restarting my chumby it works again for two days.
Now I'm waiting what will happen the next few days.

Le Tartar

It's been OK on mine for almost a week now. I'm mystified as to what was going on before.

Of course I posted the previous on Saturday, and Sunday night it failed to switch to Night Mode again. So there's something definitely going on there that's not related to a PEBCAK*, at least in the DeBoulet household wink

* Problem Existing Between Chair and Keyboard . . .

I'm getting the same problem intermittently too - my night mode is set to activate at 11:30pm.

It *seems* to happen when it is not connected to the network (my chumby drops out a fair bit).

I'll try and keep an eye on it and see if I can work out other factors - anything that I should be watching for? What were the 'functionality changes' with the night mode action? The addition of the dark button?

11 (edited by Dodge DeBoulet 2009-06-15 05:01:26)

Mine doesn't seem to have any network connectivity problems; it's about 15 feet from my router, with only a single wood-frame floor and wall between. Link Quality as reported by iwconfig ranges from 71 to 85.

On an unrelated note: Just poking around I discovered that this little doohickey has received 1.7GB since it was last rebooted 13 days ago. That's almost 4GB a month. Glad I don't have a transfer cap on my internet service smile

I think I've discovered a new bug - if you're in night mode, and an alarm that activates night mode triggers, night mode is deactivated. The expected behaviour is for night mode to remain active.

To reproduce:
Set an alarm 10 minutes from now, with no sound, and set the action to "night mode on". Turn night mode on manually. Wait for alarm to trigger.

I have the same problem too. The night mode doesnt turn on. Iam doing it manually now...I have 2.8.33

Yes, we've reproduced the problem and are looking into it.

15 (edited by gtm170 2009-06-24 18:19:57)

Any update on this issue?  I was any earlier whiner for this feature and loved it while it was working.  Now I'm missing it again.

Yes, I've fixed it and it's in QA at the moment.

Thanks Duane.  Can you let us know when it's out? I would like to provide feedback as to if it solves my issue.

Hi Duane,

Sorry to barge into a (basically) unrelated thread, but wanted to make sure you saw this.  Could you be so kind as to comment on the issues raised in thread: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=3862

thanks,

Calvin.

Responded in that thread.

Anything new on the beta that fixes the alarm/night mode issue? Is QA satisfied yet? big_smile

Yes - they're just chugging through some additional testing on other things.  Hopefully update "soon".

Thanks . . . looking forward to the fix smile

Did this get fixed in 2.8.36? I don't see any mention of it in the release notes.

Yes, it's fixed.

25 (edited by gtm170 2009-07-20 10:50:18)

I'm not so sure it was completely fixed.  My Chumby went from an alarm set dim screen to full brightness in the middle of the night.  I need to mess with it to see if it is behavior associated with one of my programmed silent alarms or another gremlin....