Topic: Video?

How much video is the chumby capable of?  I seen somewhere that Duane mentioned it can not do Flash Video.  Does it have the ability for any other video types?  Any players? Codecs?

Travis
Why do people think Open Source always means free?

Re: Video?

The Freescale MX21 ARM9 (the processor used in the current chumby prototypes) has hardware-level encoding and decoding of MPEG-4.  At the moment, we don't expose that functionality to the Flash layer because we haven't absolutely committed to this particular processor.

The processor on its own is not powerful enough to decode video without a hardware assist.

3 (edited by awalton 2006-08-28 08:39:20)

^^ what he said.

sounds good. like ive said in other posts, the ipod video can do it with a 233mhzish ARM processor, so shouldnt see why chumby cant do it.

i dont think flash video is the way to go though. a proper video decoder would be best. maybe a stripped down version of VLC or another popular linux video player.

dont get me wrong, flash is good, but its not great for video. look at youtube tongue awful bitrates, and terrible a/v sync. mp4 is prolly the best for portable content. and it means that if i produce chumby content on my site, i dont have to re-encode big_smile just use the ipod video ones tongue

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

chedabob wrote:

sounds good. like ive said in other posts, the ipod video can do it with a 233mhzish ARM processor, so shouldnt see why chumby cant do it.

The iPod is not using the main processor to decode the video - it has special hardware to do it.

oh right tongue

well my 3g ipod will do that video, and that uses the main cpu. its only black and white, with no proper a/v sync, but its possible. the devs got a little fed up with it, so they never continued with the a/v sync. i think the ipod photo can do it in colour, but still the a/v sync issue.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

I think a VLC widget would be the best way to go either way bc then you could stream the video wirelessly or (sometime in the future) you could just add it your your thumbdrive/ portable hhd. Then u have a bedside video controler. Yummy!!!

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)