Topic: Pandora not available

I wake up everyday to a Pandora music stream. Today, just beeping sound. No Pandora, even through direct (non-alarm triggered) access. Other radio stations are available.

Sharby

Re: Pandora not available

If it happens again let us know.

The beeping means that the chumby had some difficulty authenticating with Pandora at the time the alarm went off.

provided that your chumby is on the same network as from where you posted this, i don't see anything in our logs with respect to
authentication errors, or even an auth attempt.

/mdkail

4 (edited by sharby 2009-04-02 09:27:15)

Yes, the Chumby is on the same network. Widgets load fine. Same issue today. When I choose Pandora, right at the signon message bos says -

"I'm sorry, Pandora is currently unavailable"

update: Seems to be working after a reboot, but could someone please remind me where I configure the Chumby-Pandora connection? I've forgotten how my Chumby knows my Pandora userid/password...

thanks!

Having Pandora problems myself. I woke to the gently escalating beeping yesterday rather than my usual Pandora station. When I went into the control panel to verify that my station was selected in Pandora, I received an error stating that the credentials could not be found (paraphrasing here).

I then tried to get to Pandora via the "Music" button on the control panel; that worked fine. And after that, I could get edit my alarms and reselect my Pandora station without an error.

This has happened more than once for me. A reboot has not fixed the problem in the past; only entering Pandora from the Music button seems to return things to normal.

Dodge DeBoulet wrote:

Having Pandora problems myself. I woke to the gently escalating beeping yesterday rather than my usual Pandora station. When I went into the control panel to verify that my station was selected in Pandora, I received an error stating that the credentials could not be found (paraphrasing here).

I then tried to get to Pandora via the "Music" button on the control panel; that worked fine. And after that, I could get edit my alarms and reselect my Pandora station without an error.

This has happened more than once for me. A reboot has not fixed the problem in the past; only entering Pandora from the Music button seems to return things to normal.

So should I talk to Support about this, or is this the proper avenue to have this looked into?

IT,  QA and Customer Service all monitor the fprums, so I'm sure they'll look into it.

8 (edited by Dodge DeBoulet 2009-05-11 18:52:16)

Happened again this morning. When it happens, it also seems that my Chumby is sluggish to respond to screen taps (and I mentioned this a while ago specifically regarding Pandora, where it appeared to not respond to some on-screen button presses).

Related, possibly?

i've reviewed our logs for the past few days and while we are getting HTTP STATUS 200 [OK] back from Pandora, something doesn't look quite right to
me.  i'm going to send the log entries to QA for review.

/mdkail

mdkail wrote:

i've reviewed our logs for the past few days and while we are getting HTTP STATUS 200 [OK] back from Pandora, something doesn't look quite right to
me.  i'm going to send the log entries to QA for review.

/mdkail

Thank you. FYI, happened again this morning . . .

that's very strange.  do any other devices/computers on your wifi network exhibit similar sluggish behavior?  what i'm wondering is if the chumby is
losing it's DHCP leased IP address or something like that...

/mdkail

mdkail wrote:

that's very strange.  do any other devices/computers on your wifi network exhibit similar sluggish behavior?  what i'm wondering is if the chumby is
losing it's DHCP leased IP address or something like that...

/mdkail

No, network performance is otherwise fine, and I'm not losing my DHCP lease as far as I know (I don't on any of my other wireless devices). I doubt it matters, but my router is a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with dd-wrt firmware v24-sp1.

I can't seem to get it to fault.  I have a few questions that may assist me in reproducing this problem:

1. What is being shown before you hit 'night mode' and go to bed?
2. Are you playing Pandora at all before going to bed?  If not Pandora, any other music sources?
3. What control panel version are you using?  Top right corner of the CP.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-Sam

sam m wrote:

I can't seem to get it to fault.  I have a few questions that may assist me in reproducing this problem:

2. Are you playing Pandora at all before going to bed?  If not Pandora, any other music sources?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

-Sam

1. I have an alarm set that does nothing but enable night mode at 11pm, so I usually don't hit it myself
2. Nope.
3. I'm using the latest publicly-available beta control panel, 2.8.20.

Beeping again this morning, not yesterday tho. No changes from my end.

Sharby,
What control panel version are you running?  Could you please answer these questions?

-Sam

There is also a 16 second time limit when an alarm is set to go off for Pandora, before the fallback alarm initiates.  We allow 16 seconds because Pandora may need time to re-sign in, fetch your Pandora profile, upload the music stations, etc.  This doesn't happen all the time, and 16 seconds is usually long enough to allow your Pandora alarm to load up and run...however, a weak wifi signal, excessive amount of Pandora stations, etc. can cause it to take longer and resort to playing the fallback alarm.

So, when your alarm goes off, you'll see the alarm screen come up.  There may not be any audio since it's trying to load Pandora.  If Pandora doesn't load within 16 seconds, your backup alarm will sound.

-Sam

sam m wrote:

Sharby,
What control panel version are you running?  Could you please answer these questions?

-Sam

Actually, because of the dark mode problem introduced in this firmware release, I now power off the chumby when I go to bed. I turned it on at 8 am today (approx), and it booted with the latest CP beta (2.9.20).  At 9:30 AM, I have an alarm that plays Pandora music. It played the beeping sound instead.

As to your other questions

1. I have an alarm at 9:30 PM that switches the screen to dark mode. prior to this a single clock channel is playing with a very simple dark clock.
2. no. no music at all.
3. 2.9.20

The alarm is obviously reverting to the fallback beep since it cannot load Pandora in time.  Do you know how to SSH into the chumby to view the logs that are displayed when the alarm goes off?  If not, here's a link to use on how to do so:  http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … trol_Panel

You'll have to run the stop_control_panel script, then start_control_panel to relaunch the CP.  Then just wait for the alarm to go off and send us the logs if it fails again.

-Sam

ok given that this is intermittent it may take a while but will try

Whew. Really beginning to think I was alone here.

Every single time I've had a failure to start Pandora via an alarm, I've found that checking the alarm's settings immediately after has resulted in "Pandora credentials not found" when I choose Pandora for station selection. The failure of the alarm followed by the failure to find my credentials has to be related.

My Chumby is within 20 feet of my router, and I have no interference issues that I know of (router is configured for channel 11). The signal strength meter is good, and I've a 5Mb/s down - 250Kb/s up cable modem connection.

I am having the same problem. Anyone have a fix for Pandora not playing in the alarm? It plays just fine when I choose it under the music option.

We're trying to reproduce this problem internally.

We would really appreciate it if one of you that regularly experiences this (especially with the 'Pandora credentials not found' experience) would capture some debug output and send it over to us.

As Sam mentioned above, check this wiki page for tips on accessing your chumby via a ssh session:
http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … trol_Panel

You can then type:  stop_control_panel; start_control_panel

This will enable logging to your ssh window and you should then send us a copy of the relevant logging info.  Contact Customer Support if you need some live assistance with this.   thanks!

Also, please let us know the following:

- What you're doing before going into Night Mode (playing music, widget play, etc.)?

- What version control panel are you using?  If it's 'beta', it'll have a watermark.  The cp version is on the top right of the main control panel

- When the alarm does go off, what happens?  Does it go off with no audio, *then* revert to the fallback beep?  Or does it play the fallback beep right when the alarm screen initiates?

These questions answered, along with the debug logs would greatly help us in getting to the bottom of this.  As you're probably aware, we cannot reproduce this bug, therefore need your assistance in gathering this information.

-Sam