Topic: getting the chumby to reload a widget?

Is there an easy way to force the chumby to grab a new version of a widget from the chumby server?  Sometimes it gets it quickly, other times it seems to never get a new version unless I reboot it.

Re: getting the chumby to reload a widget?

The "reload" button on the Control Panel forces a reload of the channel, which should include the widgets used by that channel.

In my experience, the Reload button doesn't seem to do anything.  In fact, the running application keeps running and is not restarted.  Perhaps Reload is not implemented yet?

Hmmm - what the "reload" button does is send the unique chumby identifier to the website and ask it which channel it should be running, and then start playing the widgets in that channel.

There may be an optimization that is that if you're using the same channel, and you only have a single widget in a channel, and it's the same widget, then it won't bother reloading it - unfortunately, that might be what's biting you since the chumby doesn't know that you changed the actual widget code.

I'll take a look and see what it's doing and try to accomodate this particular situation.

Note that we're adding HTTP caching to the Flash Player, which means that the widget may be cached for up to an hour.  I'll look into hooking up the "reload" button to the ability to clear the cache.

If it is a caching problem maybe it could be fixed with the classical "add a random number to the request string" method.