Topic: Dark mode no longer completely dark

After upgrading to 1.7, the Chumby no longer goes completely dark. After going into Night mode and pressing the Dark button, there is now what appears to be a single horizontal bar of bright pixels starting at the top left corner of the screen and goes about halfway across. It doesn't sound that bad, but there is an additional glow behind the plastic frame which makes matters worse.

This started to happen only after the upgrade, the device went completely dark before then. Could you guys look into this please?

Thanks!

Sharby

Re: Dark mode no longer completely dark

Yes, I'll look into that - "Dark mode" should be shutting off the backlight entirely.

Is it possible that you're seeing the Wifi dongle's access LED?

hm - not sure what you mean - before, in dark mode, the device was completely dark. I would have noticed any glow emanating from it. there is clearly a very thin line of pixels "lit" at the topmost part of the screen, plus the glow inside the plastic part which I assume is part of the panel illumination mechanism.

Hope this helps.

sharby

In case this helps, here's a long exposure photo I took last night in complete darkness. Note the band of lit pixels and the glow coming from the frame:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_N … directlink

5 (edited by ihf 2009-05-11 05:54:56)

I can confirm this.  I have 2 Chumbys and I upgraded one and had the same result as sharby.  I then upgraded the second Chumby and it too went from being completely dark to showing some light at the top.  It may come from the LED inside but why only after the upgrade?

Firmware 1.6 forced the LED on the Wifi dongle to be off all the time.  That fix was not carried forward to 1.7 - we'll make sure it's there for the next release.

I also see the line of pixels. When is the new release expected?

Yes would be nice to leave my Chumby turned on 24x7 once again...

We've already made the patch - it will be in the next release.  Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later - we're just chasing down a few more issues that users have reported.

Cool. Thanks Duane

I have a problem with the "DARK" oval in night mode in that when I touch the upper right corner of the display in Night mode, instead of going into DARK mode, it returns to playing a widget (and thereby lighting up the room which requires me to go back to CP and night mode to try again). I thought the problem was that the oval is not flush with the upper right corner but when I try the same thing with another Chumby it works fine even if I hit the right corner above the oval. I often touch the right corner rather than right on the oval because it is easy to feel for the right corner in the dark.  I tried recalibrating the touchscreen but that didn't seem to help.

Hmmm, it really does still sound like touchscreen calibration.  Could you try recalibrating with something pointy, like a stylus or paperclip?

You were absolutely right except. of course, the one I was calibrating was the one that didn't work as I wanted it to. The one that allowed me to hit the corner to go Dark was in need of calibration and now it behaves the same way.  May I respectfully request that the oval be moved into the corner or enlarged to include the corner? :-)  Thanks.

Sure wink

Any update on when the firmware update to once again disable the LED will become available?

Thank you.

Tony

Still in QA, however, very close to release.

Thank you.