Topic: Chumby backend request - Email link from widget

Chumby,

Please consider adding an email from widget function to the backend.
It would be nice for widgets to be able to send links from news, shopping, etc back to the user's email using a simple portal with some sort of easy script.

Example, I click on a Amazon RSS link to see the details of an item in a widget and the programmer has included a "Email me the link" icon to send me the link directly for the item I was just looking at. This would be better accomplished by a simple backend addition on your end than having the programmer having to run an email gateway and having the widget configured by the user to supply the email address associated with the account that you already have on file.

Just an idea that would be useful.

Myridom

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location

Re: Chumby backend request - Email link from widget

This precise functionality has been around since the beginning - for instance, the New York Times widget can do this today.

See documentation here .  The deal is that widgets cannot do this by default (for obvious reasons), but you can ask us to enable it for well-behaved widgets.

Duane wrote:

This precise functionality has been around since the beginning - for instance, the New York Times widget can do this today.

See documentation here .  The deal is that widgets cannot do this by default (for obvious reasons), but you can ask us to enable it for well-behaved widgets.

I have no idea how to implement code so how would I enable emailing functionality for certain widgets?

ToeNipples wrote:

I have no idea how to implement code so how would I enable emailing functionality for certain widgets?

Sending email from a widgets inherently requires some amount of coding, based on the example code on the wiki.  I can't think of another way to do it.

is there a way one can access the chumby owner's email id from the device (using code) like I access the instance id.
my requirement is
I need to send email with links from Chumby to its owner using my own email server, I have every thing except the owner's email address.

No, the chumbys (and therefore the widgets) do not have access to the email address of the user for the obvious reasons.

What happens is that the "widget instance id" is sent to the server along with the email content, the widget is checked to see if it has permission to send email, the owner of the "widget instance" is looked up in the database, and the email is sent.

If your widget wants to send email using some other mechanism, it will have to ask the user for their email address, either at configuration time, or from the widget itself.  We don't prohibit authors from doing this - restrictions only apply to widgets that want to use our server to send email.