Topic: dark night mode

I like the new "dark" button on the nightmode screen, but it seems to be a little buggy. When I activate the nightmode and then switch between dimmed and dark a few times it happens to show just a empty dimmed screen, missing the clock and the dark-button. If I tap on the top right corner where the bark-button should be, the display is dark again. So I belief it just doesn't paint the screen.

Re: dark night mode

Actually, what you're seeing is a hardware issue that I tried to address, but it looks like a couple of devices are still outside the range.

The issue is this - in the 2008 (aka "3.7") hardware, going directly from "screen off" to "screen dim" can result in the display showing the image with the colors inverted.  To get around this, the screen needs to be turned on to full brightness for a brief period before going back to dim.  I have this logic in the code, however, it appears that the time I'm spending in "bright" is still a bit too short for some units.  "2009" chumbys (aka "3.8") have entirely different hardware, and thus don't have this issue.

I'll increase the duration for the next beta release.

Yes, that seems to be the reason. Thanks for the quick response.

btw I tried the new event for the dark nightmode (ScreenManager - off), but nothing happens. Should it already work? Other events work fine for me...

Hmmm, the event should work - I'll make another pass at it.  Maybe I broke it.

Duane wrote:

Actually, what you're seeing is a hardware issue that I tried to address, but it looks like a couple of devices are still outside the range.

The issue is this - in the 2008 (aka "3.7") hardware, going directly from "screen off" to "screen dim" can result in the display showing the image with the colors inverted.  To get around this, the screen needs to be turned on to full brightness for a brief period before going back to dim.  I have this logic in the code, however, it appears that the time I'm spending in "bright" is still a bit too short for some units.  "2009" chumbys (aka "3.8") have entirely different hardware, and thus don't have this issue.

Yeah, I have one of those out-of-range units. I ran into this problem when I was developing my autodim script. I tried getting it to go from black during sleep to the dim state on wake but no matter what delay I tried, I could never get it working reliably. I'm very curious to see if your code will work better.

OTOH, the alarm volume fade-in is totally awesome. Thank you for this great new feature!

Duane wrote:

Hmmm, the event should work - I'll make another pass at it.  Maybe I broke it.

I took a quick look in the output of the controlpanel...

2009-02-21 12:45:44 chumbySignalHandler(1) SIGHUP - got 56 byte event structure
2009-02-21 12:45:44 ClientObject::ProcessSoftEvent(mmobj=0x405415d4) type=ScreenManager value=off comments=
2009-02-21 12:45:44 ClientObject::ProcessSoftEvent(ScreenManager,off,) - failed to send event
2009-02-21 12:45:44 ClientObject::ProcessSoftEvents() - 1 events processed

And by talking about events: I asked for a PlayLoop-Event some time ago. Have you been able to include it till now? I hacked around the problem a little bit, but the new controlpanel interferes a little bit with my hack wink

this new feature is great - would it be possible to increase the size (1-2x) of the 'dark' button at all? i notice that sometimes i have to make multiple attempts b/c i 'miss'.

With 2.8.19 the event works now, but there seems to be a little glitch by handling it: When the control panel is in nightmode and I send the "dark-event" the screen goes off as expected, but when I touch the screen once it doesn't return to normal nightmode but switches to full brightness immediately.

Duane wrote:

In case you have already: doesn't work better wink

The Control Panel event for setting the screen to "dark" is *not* the same as the functionality of the "DARK" button in Night Mode.  The event will indeed revert to full brightness on touch and can happen at any time, while the DARK button operates slightly differently in that it toggles back to dim on touch.

To do what you want, I should probably add another event that simulates the DARK button functionality, and requires that the device be in Night Mode to take effect.

I'll play some more with the dark->dim delay.

Oh, and I forgot to document it - I did add the playLoop event to UserPlayer (EDIT: added to the release notes)

Duane wrote:

The Control Panel event for setting the screen to "dark" is *not* the same as the functionality of the "DARK" button in Night Mode.

ok, in this case the event works perfectly smile

Duane wrote:

To do what you want, I should probably add another event that simulates the DARK button functionality, and requires that the device be in Night Mode to take effect.

That would be cool. I love the event-system. It is really helpful for scripting something and with every event it gets more powerful.

These new events should now be in Control Panel 2.8.20

Duane wrote:

These new events should now be in Control Panel 2.8.20

Thanks. I have integrated them into my scripts and they work well. (At least the events - the scripts itself are a bit buggy at the moment wink )

And the dim delay works fine now.