Topic: Clock loosing minutes every day

Hello,
i have a problem with the clock loosing 6 minutes every day.

I use the Paris TimeZone and the last Beta Control Panel.
I do not understand, it is written somewhere in the forum that the time is synchronised every 3 hours (il case is checked), so why this hapends ?
If anybody as an idea.

Re: Clock loosing minutes every day

We'll check to see if there's something peculiar about the Paris timezone file, but if it continues to lose time consistently, please contact Customer Support.

perhaps your chumby is behind a firewall that is blocking 'rdate' [TCP/UDP port 37] requests to time.chumby.com?

if you are so inclined, you could enable 'sshd' on your chumby and issue the command:

$ rdate time.chumby.com

and see if it Does The Right Thing

/mdkail

Thanks Duane and mdkail for your help and  for the fast answer.

For the Firewall, it is right that a use a strong firewall, that's probably why the time update doesn't come. I was not thinking on that because, every other tings seems to work well.

But how can i enable 'sshd' and how to send a commande rdate to chumby ?

This issue will probably correct the time on my Chumby ; but it strange that the clock on the device, even there is no web time update, loosing minutes; isn't it ?

5 (edited by gingerbeardman 2008-04-14 04:19:06)

Go into Control Pabel, Settings, Chumby Info and press the Pi symbol in the upper right hand corner. This is called the Control Panel Easter Egg.

From this "secret" menu screen, choose SSHd, then using Terminal (Mac) or PuTTY (PC) log in to the login to the chumy by using 'ssh root@your.chumby.ip -l root'

and then issue the command Duane mentioned. After that, change firewall and confirm, then reboot chumby...

matt

I am kind of a computer noob. Is there going to be a fix for this anytime soon? This thing is kind of useless as a clock to me.

I, too, am having this problem.

My Chumby has lost about 10 minutes today. I'm starting to get a little nervous about using it as an alarm clock if it can't tell time properly!

I'm not using the beta software and I have nothing non-factory (other than some widgets) installed. I'm also running the latest release software.

I am behind a hardware firewall, but it is set up only to block incoming connections, outbound is left alone.

My time zone is Los Angeles.

8 (edited by joltdude 2008-04-29 04:47:37)

Actually your firewall may *STILL* be blocking the time updates because of the way rdate works and its not the more common protocol used for time... (The one most people are familiar with is NTP)... but both are RFC standards for grabbing time via the internet.

Also give the beta control panel a go.. There has been work on the alarm/time system....

Seriously if your losing *that* much time, you might want to try contacting technical support.. at most I lose a minute a day, using the current beta control panel and flashed up to date..which tends to resolve itself the next time the chumby does a time sync.

joltdude wrote:

Actually your firewall may *STILL* be blocking the time updates because of the way rdate works and its not the more common protocol used for time... (The one most people are familiar with is NTP)... but both are RFC standards for grabbing time via the internet.

Also give the beta control panel a go.. There has been work on the alarm/time system....

Seriously if your losing *that* much time, you might want to try contacting technical support.. at most I lose a minute a day, using the current beta control panel and flashed up to date..which tends to resolve itself the next time the chumby does a time sync.

My firewall only blocks connection requests from the outside. Also, the chumby does appear to be able to set the time during setup and now when I force it to synch.

I may give the control panel a try if I can't get things sorted out with the non-beta stuff... although from what I've been hearing so far it sounds like this isn't supposed to be a big issue with either.

Will run some more tests tonight to see if I can come up with more data...

mdkail wrote:

perhaps your chumby is behind a firewall that is blocking 'rdate' [TCP/UDP port 37] requests to time.chumby.com?

if you are so inclined, you could enable 'sshd' on your chumby and issue the command:

$ rdate time.chumby.com

and see if it Does The Right Thing

/mdkail

I ran this test. Results are posted in this thread: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=2206.

gingerbeardman wrote:

Go into Control Pabel, Settings, Chumby Info and press the Pi symbol in the upper right hand corner. This is called the Control Panel Easter Egg.

From this "secret" menu screen, choose SSHd, then using Terminal (Mac) or PuTTY (PC) log in to the login to the chumy by using 'ssh root@your.chumby.ip -l root'

and then issue the command Duane mentioned. After that, change firewall and confirm, then reboot chumby...

matt

FYI, you don't need "root@" and "-l root" for your ssh command. smile

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

12 (edited by gingerbeardman 2008-05-01 09:49:04)

In Terminal a Mac, you need at least one of them. Otherwise ssh wrongly assumes the currently logged in user.

Not sure about PuTTY?

gingerbeardman wrote:

In Terminal a Mac, you need at least one of them. Otherwise ssh wrongly assumes the currently logged in user.

Not sure about PuTTY?

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear... yes, you are correct.  You do need one, but not both.  I don't use a mac or PuTTY.  Macs are too expensive, and windows just sucks. tongue

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I am also losing time on both my chumbys. Every day for the last couple of days. No outbound firewall here. Starting to concern me but this seems like an old topic.

steined wrote:

I am also losing time on both my chumbys. Every day for the last couple of days. No outbound firewall here. Starting to concern me but this seems like an old topic.

Answered in your other thread - also see this thread.