Topic: My new Chumby was just mailed via UPS from SHENZHEN, CHINA to ATL, USA

Wow, my chumby is being mailed 8,414.05 miles away from my house in Atlanta GA from SHENZHEN, 518000 CHINA !!

Talk about far!

I went to UPS website to see how much it would cost me to mail back, and they say the city is restricted and will not even give me a quote.

"Delivery options for all available services for the following shipment:

Ship From:         DUNWOODY, GA 30338 UNITED STATES    
Ship To:         SHENZHEN, 518000 CHINA    
Shipment Date:         Tuesday, January 13, 2009     
The shipment descriptions you have indicated may require special assistance. Please check the accuracy of your request or contact your local UPS office for assistance."

Same with FexEd!

"The destination ZIP or postal code you entered is not served by FedEx in this country."

DHL says for a 2.4 lbs box $93.28 !!!!

Now Chumby charges $10 for shipping, which I got for free with the current $50 off package.

How is Cumby making money shipping from so far away single packages?  What kind of great deal do they have with UPS to be able to afford this?

How un-earth friendly is sending such a box so far?

Right now my package is in ANCHORAGE AK!!!

ANCHORAGE,
AK,  US     01/13/2009     12:10 P.M.     ARRIVAL SCAN
CHEK LAP KOK,
HK     01/13/2009     8:10 P.M.     DEPARTURE SCAN
SHENZHEN,
CN     01/13/2009     9:23 A.M.     ORIGIN SCAN
CN     01/13/2009     9:14 P.M.     BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Does anyone else see any problems with this......

I did check out SHENZHEN with google Earth, cool looking city....  Do a search for Chumby in the city and you will get some news about how the founder was an Xbox hacker!  good stuff....

Re: My new Chumby was just mailed via UPS from SHENZHEN, CHINA to ATL, USA

Remember when you deal with UPS/DHL Logistics you may not be paying the same prices as *retail* shipping.. Even when paying slightly more than a domestic shipment, they are shipping the same thing, the same size, and the same weight and discounts can/are made... Plus they dont have a warehouse costing them real estate and other sundry items... Plus you do not return it to china, you return it to their US offices...

Trust me, it sounds odd but it makes a heck of a lot of sense from a buisness perspective

Perhaps when they start shipping larger and larger quantities it will make more sense to have a warehouse in the states... *heck look how many that Amazon has in the US for instance*.. but for smaller quantities the cost savings justifies the means.

It's not like there's an airplane that flies individual chumbys back and forth across the Pacific - these shippers operate a network of aircraft and ships that do this on a regular schedule.  These planes fly irrespective of the presence of chumbys. That the boxes are treated as individual items is a fiction created by the computers - all of the chumbys shipping for any particular day are aggregated and shipped together.

The chumbys ship directly to the shipper's hubs and enter the regular domestic shipping system, just like any other package.  It's actually *more* environmentally friendly this way than if we warehoused in the US, because it would require that we transport them between the shipping hubs and the warehouse in addition to the shipping that already happens.

When you return a chumby, it doesn't go back to China - it comes to our US office in San Diego.  If the return is the result of a defect, we do an analysis to see what went wrong, and if it's something that can be addressed on the production line, we feed that information back to China.

What bothered me about the shipping (no fault of Chumby, just UPS being jerks) was that it arrived in Alaska an hour before it shipped (Time zones are fun), then quickly went to Arkansas -- then sat there and didn't move for 4 or 5 days before completing its journey. The wait was excruciating smile

Very cool, thanks for the feedback!

here is my chumby status update smile

LOUISVILLE,
KY,  US     01/14/2009     12:57 P.M.     ARRIVAL SCAN
ANCHORAGE,
AK,  US     01/13/2009     6:19 P.M.     DEPARTURE SCAN
    01/13/2009     12:10 P.M.     ARRIVAL SCAN
CHEK LAP KOK,
HK     01/13/2009     8:10 P.M.     DEPARTURE SCAN
SHENZHEN,
CN     01/13/2009     9:23 A.M.     ORIGIN SCAN
CN     01/13/2009     9:14 P.M.     BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Super cool!! I got my chumby today smile

I love the packaging, just bags!  Who needs boxes!  Very nice..  One thing I did wrong, I didn't realize the chumby came with Set 1 charms, and so I ended up with 2 set 1 charms, and 3 other sets.  Missing 1 set, giving me 4 out of 5 of the charm sets.

You should tell everyone not to order set 1, because it comes with the unit.  That way everyone will have all 5 sets and no doubles.

Also now that I have a chumby, I was able to update the Widget I made a few years ago.  I never saw a chumy in person, so I didn't realize some of the UI mistakes I made.  Hopefully now it looks better for everyone @

http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/Cele … n%20Images

thanks again!

sambeckett wrote:

You should tell everyone not to order set 1, because it comes with the unit.  That way everyone will have all 5 sets and no doubles.

Actually, the Chumby Store does have that information on it.  Go to store.chumby.com and right below the chumbys, is a picture of the Charm Kit 1 with this text: 

Free Charm Set One with every chumby purchase

-Sam

Wow, I just saw two really good videos on how Chumbys are made....

http://www.fastcompany.tv/video/a-look- … -delivered

and

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=213

the world changes!!

great work guys...  I have been using the chumby for the last 3 months and love it.  tossed my old alarm clock.