Topic: Strategic Flash Alliances

Just to get people's brains thinking laterally...

This blogpost got me to wondering if any of the new startups that showed off their emerging tech ideas at DEMO are compatible with chumby. Does anyone know of any others that might be interesting in tandem with chumby?

2 (edited by tvikatos 2006-10-14 04:18:18)

Re: Strategic Flash Alliances

Angela,
my name is Harry Vikatos and I am the creator of TagLoops, that was recently featured in Techcrunch and quite a few blogs . TagLoops is an online media remixing tool, that can be seen as opening up basic flash authoring capabilies to a greater audience. I feel that getting TagLoops web movies to play in chumby would be a very exciting scenario for both of us. I have already left a message on that form on your front page, but have received no feedback yet.
Please get in touch to discuss further.

I've forwarded your information to the business development guys.

Thanks for posting.

Just to clarify, while I moderate the forum, I am not an employee of Chumby Industries. The people with Chumbian after their name are part of the company, such as Duane who has responded to your post.

The guys have received thousands of submissions through the front page, so anyone who has contacted the company this way, please be patient and reassured that they are working through them at the same time as working very hard to get chumbys ready for sale mid next year.

However, I have my own professional interests in this kind of technology and how it can be used to empower communities. I will certainly take a look at your site.

Thanks for posting and welcome!

Took a quick look...I'm just wondering if you are planning to host the web movies created and generate profit from them in anyway?

The reason why I ask, is that I am interested in how copyright/IP law is going to apply with this type of technology that encourages remix of web content (which is also, I believe, an important new form of literacy that TagLoops would enable people to learn). I recently went to a legal seminar that talked about the 'safe harbor' provisions not applying to webapp/hosting companies whose business models profit from people infringing copyright. It is new and shaky legal ground, by the sounds of it.

I am wondering how people/companies generally plan to deal with this issue. (To clarify, I am not saying TagLoops does this or intends to do this *at all*!!! ) I am just opening the topic for discussion as it is topical, given YouTube's recent buyout by Google.

For people interested in contacting us regarding business opportunities, the best page to post on is the "contact us" page.

Well I guess this is not the place to discuss this, but very quickly TagLoops is not hosting anything. It just pulls together media files from the web to compose immersive chunks of content - what we call web movies- on the fly. So it is as illegitimate as Frontpage when used to build a page that pulls in a copyrighted image. Anyway charging for the *use* of the tool rather than the content itself, is probably what we 'll end up doing.