Topic: No iPod Touch Support?

I can't get my iPod Touch to be recognized when connected via USB. It also doesn't work as an iPod server (http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … Pod_server).

I couldn't find this in the release notes or on the forum, but I'd assume I'm not the only one with this problem?

Re: No iPod Touch Support?

The Chumby does not support Ipod touch or the Iphone...
And I tend to think it probably will NOT.. due to apple's propriatary nature..

Sorry

Evil/Genius.

Apple have changed the way iPods works with these new two. They do not offer a traditional "disc mode" which apps and devices use to access your music.

If Apple ever re-introduce "disc mode" things may change.

And unlocking your phone/touch - does this make a difference?

Also, if there is a proprietary way for an Apple TV to interface with an Ipod, there's got to be at least an unlicensed way to do it with other devices.

"Unlocking" doesn't matter - these devices simply do not support USB Mass Storage mode that allows access to the music and photos the way the older iPods do.  Despite the commonality of the names, these are completely different devices.

Some third parties have broken through the protocols enough to add and remove tracks, but nobody's figured out how to get access to the files as a mountable filesystem.

Has anybody looked at the possibility of using sshfs?  I know on my regular linux desktop with sshfs support I can "mount" my iPhone and play/transfer/sync using Amarok.  The newest "libgpod" libraries will read data from iPod Touches and iPhones.  I believe this may be what Duane is talking about "[breaking] through the protocols enough to add and remove tracks".

My chumby JUST came today, but I may try getting this working, as playing my iPhone music might be handy.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

This would have to be an unofficial hack, as it seems to break the eula for the device. le sigh

Does this work have any impact on the problem?  http://code.google.com/p/iphonedisk/

ihf wrote:

Does this work have any impact on the problem?  http://code.google.com/p/iphonedisk/

It might - I'll take a look at how that works.

Previous hacks to the iPhone have treated files atomically - ie, I can move entirely files in one shot, but I can't simply open a file for reading, which would be required for streaming.  The problem with simply copying files off the device to play them is that I have nowhere to put them.

Is there any way to use the chumby as just speakers for an iPod through the USB connection and do your tune selection through the iPod?

No - the IPod does not present audio data through the USB interface.

The "wide" connector that attaches to the iPod itself *does* have audio, which is why the various third-party iPod docks work, but that signal doesn't end up on the USB section of the connector.

To do an audio pass-through, we'd have to add the full connector - however, that requires a license from Apple,which comes with some additional strings, as well as incurring the cost of the somewhat pricy connector and the license.

The only other way to do this requires substantial hardware hacking - removing the internal microphone and replacing it with an audio input jack, then writing some simple software to route microphone input to the speakers.

The connector is based on a Japanese aerospace connector, isn't it?  What's to license?  But it is an expensive connector and it would seem hard to justify the expense of it just to use the chumby as a speaker.  Not to mention the inevitable complaints about sound quality and volume for that sort of purpose.  You'd be better off adding an line-level audio input jack to the chumby and using a 3rd party iPod dock that has audio outputs.

Line in *in addition* to perhaps 2 more USB ports in the back would be a good feature for Chumby 2.0 wink
Either that or some SDHC slot....

Still like that theres a mic built in... Now just waiting for it to show us what it can do...