Topic: Another alarm issue: night mode

Since the firmware push one of my alarms no longer works:  the one at 11:30pm which I use to put my chumby in nightmode.  The /psp/alarms file is here: http://www.webbastards.com/alarms
Every night the alarm fails to work where it had worked previously.

10Q,

wayn3w

Re: Another alarm issue: night mode

+1 on that.  I had mine set to go to nightmode at 10:30pm, and it was working like charm.  After the new firmware, I noticed it wasn't working, I deleted the entry and recreated it.  It worked one time, and hasn't worked since.  sad

yep, same problem here. I have an 11:00pm night mode alarm that hasn't worked since the update.

That is strange as mine is working just fine.

-HuckFinn

My morning alarms have ceased to function while in night mode.  They show up as being set on the screen, but come morning, nothing works.

Again, I do not seem to be having these issues. I have an alarm that puts Chumby into night mode and then one that takes it out of night mode in the morning. They both seem to be working fine, I wonder what the difference could be.

-HuckFinn

Also having the same issue here.

Those of you having this problem - if you can, please email me (duane@chumby.com) or post here the contents of the /psp/alarms file, so I can have QA diagnose this issue.

9 (edited by twolap 2008-05-12 08:59:44)

Aurans wrote:

Also having the same issue here.

...and so do I.
But, right now I'm not running the BETA, so I guess my post is in the wrong place :-P

I tried deleting the "alarm" and re-creating it. Nothing.

Worked OK in the "old" BETA.

Cheers/ Carl

Duane wrote:

Those of you having this problem - if you can, please email me (duane@chumby.com) or post here the contents of the /psp/alarms file, so I can have QA diagnose this issue.

How do I get that file?

Mine was working fine after the last update, but the problem began over the weekend. It won't go into night mode at the selected time. It does, however, wake from night mode at the right time. As an aside, if I change the alarm time it does go into night mode one time, but doesn't do so on the following day.

11 (edited by wayn3w 2008-05-20 05:11:49)

i think I have a little more information, and a related question. 

If I mess around with the Chumby a little before the night alarm, the alarm will go off correctly.  If it's a long time between messing around with it and the night-mode alarm, then the alarm won't go off.  "Messing with" means going into the control panel either to play music or browse widgets in the current channel.   My 'morning' alarms always go off, which is usually 6 hours from when I had to mess with control panel in order to manually put it into night mode.

So my question is could there be one or more widgets in my default channel which is using resources such that the clock/control panel timers are being thrown off?

I hope this helps; if there is anything you'd like me to try, let me know.

wayn3w

wayn3w wrote:

i think I have a little more information, and a related question. 

If I mess around with the Chumby a little before the night alarm, the alarm will go off correctly.  If it's a long time between messing around with it and the night-mode alarm, then the alarm won't go off.  "Messing with" means going into the control panel either to play music or browse widgets in the current channel.   My 'morning' alarms always go off, which is usually 6 hours from when I had to mess with control panel in order to manually put it into night mode.

So my question is could there be one or more widgets in my default channel which is using resources such that the clock/control panel timers are being thrown off?

I hope this helps; if there is anything you'd like me to try, let me know.

wayn3w

I have the exact same experience. I may just set an alarm every hour between alarms and see if that helps.

I'm having a similar issue.
I use the simple alarm to wake me up, then a custom alarm on weekdays to play music (a shoutcast station) which starts at 8 am and runs for 45 minutes, before switching to one of my channels. There's no problem with the simple alarm going off, but the custom one sometimes just doesn't bother to sound. But sometimes it does.
How do I get to the /psp/alarms file?

Has anyone actually *listened* to Duane and sent him an email with the file and a description of whats going wrong instead of just me-too'ing the problem? If you do a search in the forums youll find out how to use SCP to copy the file out of the chumby to your desktop.

Duane wrote:

It's OK, I'm monitoring this thread, and so is QA.

I think we have enough info to try to reproduce this problem, although if some of you feel like sending the /psp/alarms file, that would still be helpful.  We'll let you know if there are some things to try to mitigate the problem.

Thanks Duane.

A suggestion - if Chumby is supposed to be mass market now, but there's no restriction on who can apply the Beta Control Panel to their Chumby, would it be a good idea to put a Sticky in the Beta Feedback section explaining exactly how someone gets to these files? joltdude's helpful suggestion of 'searching the forums' is only any good if you know what you're searching *for*. In this case, a search for /psp/alarms doesn't turn anything useful up. Information on SCP (if you even knew to look for that, which I'd suggest most people wouldn't) is dotted around all over the forum and isn't in any one place that someone who has just bought a Chumby and wants to get involved will be able to easily find.

Yes, I think that's probably a good idea.  A lot of this sort of information really should be migrated and organized on the wiki.

It might be nice to have a function in the control panel which will dump key files to a usb drive, all zipped up.  Then a user can plug the usb drive into the machine where they have mail, and send off the zip as an attachment.

You could even remove the migration step entirely if the Chumby itself could mail the files to Chumby, or do an http upload.

Just thinking outloud...

wayn3w

wayn3w wrote:

It might be nice to have a function in the control panel which will dump key files to a usb drive, all zipped up.  Then a user can plug the usb drive into the machine where they have mail, and send off the zip as an attachment.

You could even remove the migration step entirely if the Chumby itself could mail the files to Chumby, or do an http upload.

Just thinking outloud...

wayn3w

Agree 100 %

Specially handy in the beta versions

Great idea.. mebby have a option on the pi menu that will send a package of keyfiles up to the chumby server and assign it an id... similar to gametaps diagnostic software... (and show the user the alphanumeric ID to reference in email/support ticket/forum info)

wayn3w wrote:

This is on the product roadmap.