Topic: how to re-activate an alpha build chumby

I switched on ChickenOriental: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauric/457 … 064752283/  for the first time in months.  Its asking to be registered.  But the process on Chumby.com seems to have changed.  Can someone fill me in on what do do

Sorry I guess this has been covered but I couldnt find it in the forum

thanks - pauric

Re: how to re-activate an alpha build chumby

Try again - you probably did this during the recent maintenance period.

Thanks Duane - same problem again today

Connects to the network, and then
"register your chumby
Please register your chumby at www.chumby.com
Its free and lets your chumby do way more
You chumby ID : 368657d6-2697-2697-66f6-f612-00120e59d6ce"
later/ok

I click ok and it goes 'authorising....' and then straight back to this screen

I go to chumby.com and I get this new fangled screen with the Activate Pattern widget.  Never seen that before - its been a while. 
Hardware: 0.9.1
Software: 0.9.2
firmware: 128

Again - thanks for your help - pauric

I checked the database and it still seems to be registered.  It's possible our new server rollout is not compatible with the somewhat ancient protocols used by the alpha units - I'll check with IT.

In any case, the alpha prototype chumbys (aka "Foo" or "Katamari") are deprecated and no longer officially supported by the company.  At this point, I'd encourage you to get a production unit.

Sort of can understand why the user hasnt gotten a production chumby... Did you see the case mod on that?
Thats gonna be a PITA to re-case...

6 (edited by radiorental 2008-06-04 07:14:25)

Its not re-case-able.  I'll have to build an entirealy new case

I'm going to be majorly pissed if I have been bricked BY chumby - so much for 'open'

isnt there anything you can do other than ask me to upgrade the hardware - is everyone who put in time to hack and promote the chumby now getting shafted?  How about opening up the old registration process??

Duane, just wanted to add one thing.  I appreciate its a PITA to support legacy devices.  I'm familiar with that kind of work.  However I'm not looking for support.  Unless I missed it in some EULA, no where did I read: "you're chumby will probably become inoperable as we upgrade our servers".  I also appreciate you're looking in to this but at a high level.. its really bad form for Chumby Industries to turn-off/brick or otherwise the guys that were your alpha testers.

So, while I'm not asking for you to put effort in to support my deprecated chumby, I dont want support for the latest and greatest features - I am asking to be allowed to contine to hack and run MY apps.

This was a "alpha prototype" - that was made absolutely clear from the start.  It was *never* a product - people were given this device (each of which cost us about $500) for free in order to give us feedback and develop widgets for.  I'm honestly not clear how you got "shafted" by us.

There was never any commitment from the company to support the device for any extended period, and I'm sorry you got that impression.

As far as "openness" - the source code and toolchain for the device are publicly available here, and all of the schematics and mechanical drawings are still available.  The alpha device is just as "open" as the current device.

Having said that - I'll see if there's some way to feed data to these units - at this point, there's only a handful (like, under 10 of the 600 or so we produced) still being used in field so I can't promise anything.

thanks

OK, I've just run a Katamari here on my desk, and everything seems to be working fine with the latest server deployment.  It properly connected, authorized, and is pulling widgets.  It's running the same firmware version as yours.

Please try again and see if it's working for you.

no joy, must be something wrong with my network )o;

Thank you for powering up an old unit to test and apologies if I seemed overly pissed

take care - pauric

have you completely power-cycled your alpha chumby?  i don't see any attempts from that device in our logs, so perhaps it
has the *old* IP address of our server cached?

/mdkail

13 (edited by joltdude 2008-06-04 13:05:45)

Also the chumby he has may pre-date the DNS changes... try rebooting your network connection (ie if your running DSL/Cable/etc) and your router as well as the chumby itself..