1 (edited by Angela 2006-09-09 20:23:11)

Topic: Chumby Lunchbox

How dangerous would it be to fit a chumby in a metal lunchbox?

Or in a shell made out of wire?

I had a couple of ideas but they are not worth electrocuting myself over.

Re: Chumby Lunchbox

depends on the size of the lunch box and how much of the Chumby your taking apart. The shell made out of wire? like electro. wire or like pipe cleaner wire or more like a shell made out of coathangers then fixed up with some "Glue and glitter and paint (if that's your thing)" wink. I guess the wire plan could lead to some cool crafting projects.

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)

Small metal lunchbox with kittens on it actually... smile   Cut hole front and back for rubber surround and back plasticky thing for connections...I don't think electricals would be touching the metals? Not sure if it is a risk...

Pipe cleaners? EEW! I haven't played with those since I was 5....no I was thinking slightly more high end art-gallery wirework using textile techniques...

Glitter coming from an LED array...call it geek art

You shouldn't have a problem building Chumby into a metal lunchbox, except maybe for reception of the WiFi dongle.

All of the electronics in the core unit are protected by the RF shield (grounded) and the plastic bezel around the LCD. For the daughterboard, the electronics is also fairly protected with the front and rear bezel pieces. You should be OK as long as you don't touch any metal to the lunchbox, but you'll probably have to mount the USB WiFi dongle externally...

Have fun! smile

Joe

this is a neat idea.. :-)

"What you got for lunch today Billy?"
"Ooo... nothing much my mom just packed me a fresh Chumby"
"Trade for a can of Pringles?"

Hehe im funny... wink

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)