Topic: widget source code

Is the source for the shipping widgets (digg, goognews, etc) available? The SDK looks like it's all about the lower level toolchain but I was interested in taking openlazlo for spin and using one of the existing widgets as a starting point for building my own widgets. I write code in a few server-side languages (java and lamp languages, lately ruby) and I haven't coded flash before. But I'd give it a try, actionscript sounds easy 'nuff, but I don't have a good picture of how to get started.... sample apps and dev environment appreciated!

thanks

Re: widget source code

Actionscript is basically ECMAScript/Javascript.

I am preparing a few example widgets - ones that run entirely self contained, ones that pull data from an external source, and one that supports configuration from the chumby site.

In general though, there's nothing particularly magic about them - they're simply Flash movies.  The ones that fetch data use Flash's XML object.  All of our current widgets run just as well in the stock Flash Player as they do on the chumby itself.

Are there any plans to post the source to the control panel widget?

dob wrote:

Are there any plans to post the source to the control panel widget?

Not at the moment - I'll bring it up, though.  One issue is that it contains a number of our trademarks, plus it requires some very specific commercial fonts to build.

I think you could leave out the trademarks and the images -- it's mainly useful as example code.