Topic: Dash and the weather app, why does that need a Sony server?

I'm 100% confused on why the Dash needs a Sony server to continue.  The weather feed is coming from AccuWeather.com.  So why did Sony send down an update that intentionally killed the weather app?

Re: Dash and the weather app, why does that need a Sony server?

There's a whole Sony middleware layer that starts up and runs at boot that authenticates with their servers, long before it gets to the stuff you see on the display.  This software layer is based on the same software they run in their TVs - on those devices, it presents itself as the "cross bar" interface, very similar to what you see on the PS3.

This software authenticates with their backend systems, and downloads an XML manifest that lists everything the device should be doing - versions of all of the media modules, update information, even the Control Panel and themes.

What this update did is effectively bypass all that, and just use the software already on the device, and it would no longer reach out to the Sony systems on boot.

So, in reality, it's not that the servers are being disconnected from the devices, but rather the devices being disconnected from the servers.

It actually makes some sense, because they don't know how long they need to keep the servers around to deliver this update. I suspect there's some date where they will be turned off and anyone that turns on their device after then will get nothing, will Google about it, and end up here.  I think they're probably the lucky ones at this point smile

I am not privy to the nature of the business relationship between Sony and the provider of the weather information.

Thank you Duane for the middleware explanation.  I wanted to tell you about my strange experience with the update and this was before I found this forum and read about Sony bricking the devices and I do not recommend to to anyone who's reading this to try but it was a strange experience I had.

I saw the update on the screen, hit the update like a dummy as I was not aware of what was going on yet, and I got a message back that said "update could not be completed".  I have not heard anyone with that story yet and your middleware explanation might be part of the reason.  I could be unlike other users in the fact that I had a couple tasks on my configuration, specifically to turn the night mode off and on daily.  I have been reading what others have posted about the night mode setting and maybe that's what saved me?  The update did turn my wi-fi off and that was it! 

The update has not appeared again and it has been around 3 weeks now and it's up and connecting to the Sony Servers as usual as I reconnected the Wi-Fi.  So again after reading the post on the middleware, maybe having "tasks" active is what saved me.  I do have the back up old update loaded on a USB ready to use if I need it. 

I could be out to lunch but I am thinking that the update may not have been able to authenticate with the middleware to connect as again I got the message "unable to update firmware".  I was lucky indeed.  Again, I don't want anyone to think this is an OK thing to do at all as it may not work that way for you, but I am posting this just as information as I have not read any other comments from anyone else who got that message. 

I'm glad it was not able to update to say the least and I'm curious more than anything else if the fact that I was running tasks to turn the night mode off and on and could have been what prevented the authentication from running the update to brick my unit.  Any thoughts on explaining this would be welcome.

I'll hold on for your Chumby update and ride the wave for as long as this lasts until Sony completely turns off the servers.  I was just darn lucky.

The update has not appeared again and it has been around 3 weeks now and it's up and connecting to the Sony Servers as usual as I reconnected the Wi-Fi.  So again after reading the post on the middleware, maybe having "tasks" active is what saved me.  I do have the back up old update loaded on a USB ready to use if I need it.

The update that came around 3 weeks ago isn't THE "UPDATE". At some point, you'll get prompted to update to the "BRICK" update.