Topic: Dash subscription question

Sony dropped us and Duane is out of town so we are just out of luck? This concerns me as if i am paying $3 a month more than i was before to keep my dash working i expect that it will have even better service... is this something that is just a hobby for someone and they will support the service when they feel the need to? if so I will just grab a amazon device as $3 a month will pay itself off pretty quick if the support staff is on vacation or watching TV or whatever and cant get to fixing your issue.

Re: Dash subscription question

Really not trying to be a jerk but if Duane's travel plans affect my ability to get news/weather/time I certainly wont pay $3 for this honor. This needs to be serious and timely before i am willing to pay....... Sony cut service..... so either your replacement is ready or it isnt... if not be straight about it timeline wise so we can decide what to buy

If you can't wait until he releases the software update (which is in testing and it has been explained several times why he is waiting until Sony is out of the picture) maybe this isn't for you.  Patience, or roll your own.

everyone has a certain amount of patience.. are we talking hours or months.. i dont think that is awful to ask

Please understand that I have no obligations to anyone to do anything related to the Sony dash.  It's not my product and I have no responsibility for what Sony has chosen to do with it.

I have been developing a solution, which is a *lot* of work that has taken most of my free time for a few months so far, and I won't release it until I think it's ready.

You are perfectly welcome to wait, or not, that is your choice.  I would be more than happy to refund your $3 if that's an issue.

Frankly I was wary of accepting any income from dash users prior to release due to the possibility of the perception that I would somehow owe something for it.  I have been crystal clear from the beginning that this whole project is a risk.

even a loose timeframe is what i need and i am sure that is what most of the other users need as well. are we talking hours? days? months? years? I am all about funding someone who is keeping something alive that shouldnt have been killed. but if i have to have 2 devices powered off in my house for a year it is a different story

We're on our third beta release, there aren't many significant bugs.  I posted at the top of the forum that we'll be evaluating the issue of release this weekend.  Obviously I don't know yet what that decision will be.

Please email me your login information and I will refund your $3.

Duane wrote:

Please understand that I have no obligations to anyone to do anything related to the Sony dash.  It's not my product and I have no responsibility for what Sony has chosen to do with it.

I have been developing a solution, which is a *lot* of work that has taken most of my free time for a few months so far, and I won't release it until I think it's ready.

You are perfectly welcome to wait, or not, that is your choice.  I would be more than happy to refund your $3 if that's an issue.

Frankly I was wary of accepting any income from dash users prior to release due to the possibility of the perception that I would somehow owe something for it.  I have been crystal clear from the beginning that this whole project is a risk.

I think it will end up less of a risk than you think it is as many of us just want weather and news.... it should increase your revenue monthly quite a bit.... dude i will take even a somewhat broken system for $3 a month over this thing being shut off

9 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2017-07-14 03:58:30)

Crazysal,

Please understand that Duane is working on this project on his personal time. He has a full time job and a family. Yes, he is charging a whopping $3 a month, but running the service is not free to him. Duane (and a couple of others who are volunteers) put in time that could be spent with their family or friends. For some people, a product fully supported by the manufacturer/seller may be a better alternative. Another option would be to not subscribe now, but wait until the Blue Octy software for the Dash is ready, then subscribe and give it a try. Everyone must make that decision for themselves. Duane has made a lot of information available as to what is being done and (to the best of his ability) when he will be able to release his software. If you cannot wait, I suggest you give the Amazon Show a try.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Bravo Bolo.  Crazysal should realize that Duane is spending quite a bit of time and energy proving a solution for us Dash lovers.  $3 a month is hardly a sufficient amount of money to help keep a product that is seven years old functional.  In short, if not for Duane and the volunteers you would in fact have a door stop or an item for electronic recycling.  I'm more than happy to wait for the software even if it were to take a very significant period of time.

Crazysal wrote:

everyone has a certain amount of patience.. are we talking hours or months.. i dont think that is awful to ask

perhaps you should read the update that was posted yesterday.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9728

Chumby is a friendly, fun community, please direct your anger where it belongs, towards Sony.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

you are right i am angry and the situation and apologize. Sorry Duane, we all appreciate your hard work on this. I am mad at Sony for bricking something that i use every day. Sure it is a minor thing to see the weather for the day and the time on your way to the coffee pot but it is a routine that they messed up.

I sincerely apologize for blowing up.

All will be better soon. No sense stressing. There was a time when chumby/infocasts were heading for the cliff. Duane offered stub service then reinstated full service. At that time Dashes were not even on the radar for service post-sony. Just be thankful you dont have a permanent brick.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.