Re: Dash is Dead - The RIP Thread

Joelsef,

Mine has the same issue.  No roll back option if the touch doesn't work.  I think they wanted the C10s Bricked for good.  Shame as i wanted to test out the Chumby option.  Moved my B70 to the bedroom.  Have my alarm clock back now.

joelsef wrote:

So I reinstalled the 1704 update on one Dash and it still doesn't boot to a clock. I've now tried the special boot to reload firmware (1704 or 1526) but now the touchscreen doesn't work. So I can't load any firmware. It seems this Dash is bricked. Anyone else seen this or now how to work around it?

Amazing. This is an intentional move on Sony's part to completely disable the device when they didn't have to. Like they had to actually code it to NOT respond to touch. WOW.

28 (edited by beth 2017-07-13 04:57:38)

So. Got the "press here for latest update". Didn't press. Unplugged and rebooted and everything came up fine. Hanging by a thread now

Update: update screen came back. Sigh

I think it's dead. sad
It was working fine and now I have a black screen that says:
Failed to authorize:
Unknown attribute: consumer_secret
please visit ...

A sad day for sure.

rosic wrote:

I think it's dead. sad
It was working fine and now I have a black screen that says:
Failed to authorize:
Unknown attribute: consumer_secret
please visit ...

A sad day for sure.

You are actually better off than some. Unplug it and wait for the Chumby solution to come along.

I actually did update before I saw this. Cross posting  this in hopes it might help someone recover from the brick

I too updated and it was bricked. However I looked around and found the USB stick I used to update is about 6 months ago when it wouldn't upgrade. I inserted the USB, plugged in the dash, held the snooze button until I got a directions screen. Updated successfully and even downloaded my Italian theme. Not long after that I got the message to update to the Brick and haven't done it. Now I will wait for Duane's update. smile

Same here Beth.  I have a sad brick where my Dash used to sit.

Was anyone able to use the sneaky "update" and actually get the alarm clock working? If so, what's working on the alarm clock, is it fully functional?

34 (edited by marke1029 2017-07-13 21:02:40)

My Dash died too after I did the latest update (7/13/17).
The touch screen dead (can't touch/change anything for updates).  I'm getting an Amazon show and trashing the dash!!

i LOVED the dash, and sad to see sony brick all of them.

35 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2017-07-14 04:07:06)

marke1029 wrote:

My Dash died too after I did the latest update (7/13/17).
The touch screen dead (can't touch/change anything for updates).  I'm getting an Amazon show and trashing the dash!!

i LOVED the dash, and sad to see sony brick all of them.

Please do not trash the Dash! We may find a way to unbrick them. If so, it would be a shame to get rid of the hardware that isn't being made any more.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I had no idea Sony was going to pull the plug.  I had two registered units and Sony did not send me any notice. Both took the update, one survived and is now a useless clock.  The other one sits at the Sony logo.  I had the USB update from last year still on my thumb drive.  I tried downgrading the firmware on the bricked unit but the touchscreen is disabled.

Lost power during some big storms here in Chicago on Tuesday.  Dash rebooted fine.  Then yesterday my wife noticed the update and pressed it on both devices.  Uggghhhh.   Now just a Sony logo.  Won't boot past it. It's like a big middle finger!

Have the USB and will take it back to previous release and wait for the release.

Thanks to all who are contributing.  Would love to help but things crazy right now.

Thanks, Crazysal!  That worked!  I have 3 HID-C10s and am going to receive for free 2 Sony SRS-XB10 wireless speakers and a Sony ICF-C1 alarm clock radio as an "Accommodation" for losing my Dashs' functionality.

When I called the number you gave (1-239-245-6374), I spoke to someone pretty quickly and said how sad I was that they bricked my Dash after telling me for months that they would fix the problems with the registration server, etc., etc.   I said I was pretty upset at the treatment from Sony and hoped they could do something to restore my faith in the company.  :-)

The agent appologized and then asked me for the model number and serial numbers of my 3 units.  They also said to send them pictures of the front of the Dash as well as a picture of the model and serial number label.  That label is pretty small so I had to use a regular camera in macro mode to get a clear shot as my iPhone was not capable.  They then gave me case numbers for each unit and the choice of choosing either the speaker or clock for each one.

So far I have received confirming emails that the two speakers are in process and on the way.  However, the third Dash had a missing serial number and that request had to get escalated to a "supervisor" who did, in fact, authorize the exchange
as a "further" accommodation.  :-)  I haven't received any shipping info on that one yet, but it's only been a week and they said to expect processing to take up to 10 days.

Now looking forward to the magic that Duane and his cohorts can perform to "Chumbyfy" my 3 Dashs!

Cheers,

Patrick

Crazysal wrote:
PatM wrote:

$50 speakers from Sony?  Did I miss this "offer?"  I checked the Sony Dash site and there is no mention of this.

Anyone have any info?  Thanks!

Crazysal wrote:

... Now tossing us some $50 dollar speakers sure it takes the sting out of it. ...

Call this number - 1-239-245-6374 tell them you have a dash and are upset they're discontinuing it, say I heard there was an option for a speaker or an alarm clock. They'll have you email a picture to the email above then 7-10 days before it arrives they said.