Topic: What are "Special Options?"

and should I install them when I get the prompt?

- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07

Re: What are "Special Options?"

"Special Options" is basically the "safe mode" for chumby.  It's a separate storage partition, with its own file system.

Basically, the chumby will boot into that mode under a couple of circumstances - you have the screen pressed when you power up, or your shut the device down while it was still booting, or perhaps the main partition is corrupted in some manner.

If you accidentally get into that mode, you just need to hit the "restart to normal operation" button amd the chumby will reboot back to normal.

However, the "Special Options" mode can be use to install firmware updates, either from the network or a USB dongle, or reset the factory settings (useful if you miscalibrated or the network settings are messed up).

Thanks, Duane. I have seen this twice while testing long 12 volt cables. Looks like booting the Chumby with less than an amp might cause it to drop into that mode.

- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07

Mine popped into the mode after I pulled the plug out of the wall in my sleep. Well, it popped into the mode when I plugged it back in. Don't know what happened when I pulled the plug. I was asleep.

Better the plug out of the wall than the chumby off the night-stand.