Topic: Chumby software update failover and Chumby support

Howdy all-
Just got my Chumby yesterday and it's been attempting to download the new firmware, getting stuck in a loop.

So two suggestions for the Chumby team:
1) I emailed support about my chumby getting stuck in a software update loop from the customer service link on the website. The confirmation screen showed me a ticket number, but I closed that screen before I realized it. So please have your support system generate an email to the submitter with the ticket number and the contents of the ticket.

2) I purchased my Chumby for work, so it's connected through our work wifi connection. The software update is has two problems, it's braindead, and it uses bittorrent as its primary transport mechanism. I have both ingress and egress filtering on the wifi connection, and I had to disable egress filtering for the chumby update to work. Not really an optimal solution, but since I control the firewall, I'm going to turn it back on again as soon as it finishes. I can't imagine that I'm going to be the only one with this problem, and there is zero reference in your documentation about the software update using bittorrent, so I took me awhile to pinpoint the problem. I tried to use the USB update, but for some reason it never attempted to read from the three usb drives that I tried, or it got stuck trying the online update, I'm not sure, but I was never presented with the option to update from USB. So for the update process I would recommend the following: The software update process should give you manual control over where it's going to get the update from, USB or network. That screen exists (I saw it on one reboot), but I think it should be the default screen. Next, there isn't neccessarily a problem with using bittorrent, but the updater needs to be smart enough to time out (it spent 12 hours sitting on my desk trying for a bt connection), and switch to fetching a backup copy via HTTP from your site.

Thanks,
Z

Re: Chumby software update failover and Chumby support

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe it attempts to bittorrent, and if that fails, it tries http.

Re: Chumby software update failover and Chumby support

atomicflounder wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe it attempts to bittorrent, and if that fails, it tries http.

It does that in the updated firmware - however, you need to get updated to take advantage of it smile