Topic: New Infocast 8 user, what do I do?

Hello! First time user here. How did I get here, you might ask? Well back a year or two ago I was in a Goodwill store in Indianapolis with my mother and I came across this device that looked like a digital photo frame. It was just $3, so I said what the heck, I bought it intending on messing with it when I got back home. That didn't happen, and it ended up sitting in a pile of junk until today, when I stumbled upon it while getting started on my New Year's Resolution to clean up all my junk and just toss it! So I found a spare power supply, hooked it up and was delighted to find that I now owned one of the hottest devices from 2012, an Insignia Infocast 8! wink

So here I am now, device is now registered to me, I'm registered, I'm here, so what do I do now?

I figure I should make sure this is up-to-date. According to About Device:

CP Version: 3.125b1
SW: 1.0.5
FW: 1.03548
Model Number: 9.7

Am I up to date with the newest, coolest stuff? Is there something else I should be doing?

Re: New Infocast 8 user, what do I do?

In order to get the most out of your infocast you will need to subscribe to the service. It is only a few bucks a month. You can try it for one month to see how you like it.

Welcome to the community!

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Re: New Infocast 8 user, what do I do?

If you're a linux hacker-type, you can run SDL apps, webkit, etc. on the I8.  I wrote a picture frame app that I use in a setup that automatically syncs photos from my home: https://github.com/Materdaddy/iss

Basically I have a network share I can drop photos on.  They will then magically appear on an I8 at my mom's house, my MIL's house, my office, and at home.  Unfortunately I never "cleaned up" the syncing magic (it involves properly set up SSH keys, forwarded ports, etc.) so it's not available on GitHub or anything, but if you have questions, ask away.

I also have an image I can drop on a USB stick that fires up webkit in "kiosk" mode and goes to a specific web page I have.  The long-term goal is use it as a home automation control panel, but I've got so much work to do to get there, and not enough time.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker