Topic: Flickr Widget

My chumbies are getting API error message when trying to use Flickr widget. They are using RSS feed option.  RSS feed is good.

Re: Flickr Widget

Hmmm, not seeing any errors at our end - checked the server logs and all Flickr-related traffic appears to be normal.

Can you post the actual text of the error message?

Problem with Flickr API.  Try again later.

OK - it looks like an SSL issue - in the RSS URL use "http://" instead of "https://"

Please let me know if that works.

Removing the "s" fixed it.

Thank you.

Strange as is was SSL for years.

Thanks again.

Most likely, your cert expired

jeffjcom wrote:

Removing the "s" fixed it.

Hello,

at which point I have to change ?

Greetings from Germany
Lippton

I did a little troubleshooting on this.

It looks like Chumby's OpenSSL library doesn't support SHA-256, and the certificate which Yahoo deployed to Flickr about a month ago is signed using SHA-256, so Chumby refuses to finish the TLS handshake.

For RSS feeds, Duane already mentioned the solution.

For other options (e.g. searching for photos by tags), the Flickr widget would need to be modified to not use TLS, which is not required for the API endpoints for the time being (or OpenSSL in the Chumby firmware could be upgraded; that seems harder).

I've recompiled libcurl (which Chumby uses for TLS) and its statically-linked OpenSSL with current versions, and I'm testing the results. The Flickr widget is now working (with TLS), and there've been no ill effects so far.

If anyone with a bit of Chumby hacking experience wants to help test, I'd be happy to provide the binaries.

Otherwise, I'd rather wait to make sure I haven't caused any harm before recommending their use....

btchris wrote:

I've recompiled libcurl (which Chumby uses for TLS) and its statically-linked OpenSSL with current versions, and I'm testing the results. The Flickr widget is now working (with TLS), and there've been no ill effects so far.

If anyone with a bit of Chumby hacking experience wants to help test, I'd be happy to provide the binaries.

Otherwise, I'd rather wait to make sure I haven't caused any harm before recommending their use....

I'd love to, see my TLS woes here: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=50235#p50235

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

11 (edited by btchris 2015-10-16 07:36:57)

Materdaddy wrote:

I'd love to, see my TLS woes here: forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=50235#p50235

These might actually help, but you'll have to grab a more recent version of Pianobar and recompile it. The version in your thread uses GnuTLS, and I don't have GnuTLS recompiled, I have libcurl recompiled. Apparently (and fortunately) Pianobar switched to libcurl about 6 months ago.

s3.amazonaws.com/chumby/curl_and_ossl.tar.bz2

Once you have libcurl.so.4.4.0 in place, you can delete the old one (libcurl.so.4.0.0 I think).

A word of warning: I believe libcurl is used by the control panel, so if it's not working on your Chumby for some reason, it won't finish rebooting successfully. I'd recommend killing the flash player process to see if it auto-restarts successfully before doing a reboot (and restoring things if it doesn't).

Edited to add: also here are the dev files for libcurl so you can link against it w/o having to recompile it yourself: s3.amazonaws.com/chumby/libcurl-dev.tar.bz2

btchris wrote:
Materdaddy wrote:

I'd love to, see my TLS woes here: forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=50235#p50235

These might actually help, but you'll have to grab a more recent version of Pianobar and recompile it. The version in your thread uses GnuTLS, and I don't have GnuTLS recompiled, I have libcurl recompiled. Apparently (and fortunately) Pianobar switched to libcurl about 6 months ago.

s3.amazonaws.com/chumby/curl_and_ossl.tar.bz2

Once you have libcurl.so.4.4.0 in place, you can delete the old one (libcurl.so.4.0.0 I think).

A word of warning: I believe libcurl is used by the control panel, so if it's not working on your Chumby for some reason, it won't finish rebooting successfully. I'd recommend killing the flash player process to see if it auto-restarts successfully before doing a reboot (and restoring things if it doesn't).

Edited to add: also here are the dev files for libcurl so you can link against it w/o having to recompile it yourself: s3.amazonaws.com/chumby/libcurl-dev.tar.bz2

That's awesome.  I haven't touched any of this stuff in a long time but might try to make time this weekend.  Thanks!

I did run squeezelight on an i8 and it works better than on a Pi, so I used that instead of pianobar.  Pandora playback on my squeeze server stopped working a couple months ago and I haven't looked into why, so maybe I'll have a pandora solution soon based on this.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

@btchris, thanks for the fresh bits! I installed them and my Flickr widget is happy again.

If anyone is interested, here is a brief annotated log of what I did to install the new libcurl.

start up sshd on Chumby

$ ssh root@192.168.1.55
    # cd /

find control panel pid

# ps | grep chumbyflashplayer

kill control panel as a test

# kill -9 < `ps | grep chumbyflashplayer | head -1 | cut -f 2 -d ' '`

remount root r/w

# mount -oremount,rw /

copy new files to tmp (from a separate terminal)

$ scp curl_and_ossl.tar.bz2 root@192.168.1.55:/tmp/

make a list of files to backup

# tar tf /tmp/curl_and_ossl.tar.bz2 | grep -E '^(lib|usr)' > /tmp/backup_files

edit this file and change 4.4.0 to 4.0.0

# vi /tmp/backup_files

backup the files

# tar cjf /tmp/curl_backup.tar.bz2 `cat /tmp/backup_files`

test the tar

# tar tvf /tmp/curl_backup.tar.bz2

copy backup tar somewhere else (from another terminal)

$ scp root@192.168.1.55:/tmp/curl_backup.tar.bz2 .

extract new files

# tar xf /tmp/curl_and_ossl.tar.bz2

remount root as read only

# mount -oremount,ro /

kill control panel to make sure it restarts OK

# kill -9 `ps | grep chumbyflashplayer | head -1 | cut -f 2 -d ' '`

If it restarts OK, you're done so reboot Chumby.

If it doesn't restart OK, then restore the backup files. (I haven't verified these steps, YMMV)

# tar xf /tmp/curl_backup.tar.bz2

kill control panel to make sure it restarts OK

# kill -9 `ps | grep chumbyflashplayer | head -1 | cut -f 2 -d ' '`

So it didn't work so well after all. I was getting random reboots and my nightmode script that runs from cron wasn't working. I restored the old code until I can find some time to debug the issue.

Here is a more complete log of commands to revert to the original code:

$ scp curl_backup.tar.bz2 root@192.168.1.55:/tmp/
$ ssh root@192.168.1.55

chumby:/# mount -oremount,rw /
chumby:/# tar xf /tmp/curl_backup.tar.bz2 
chumby:/# rm /lib/libcurl.so.4.4.0 
chumby:/# rm -r /etc/ssl
chumby:/# rm -r /usr/ssl
chumby:/# kill -9 `ps | grep chumbyflashplayer | head -1 | cut -f 2 -d ' '`
chumby:/# mount -oremount,ro /

So Flickr does or doesn't work with my chumby?

ccchuck wrote:

So Flickr does or doesn't work with my chumby?

For RSS feeds, it works if you edit the URL to be "http://" instead of "https://".  Otherwise, we'll probably have to make some of the  changes we're making for several other widgets to get around the SSL issues.

Would you mind telling us what the rss feed entry should look like (I know how to get my flickr id #)? What I read on the flickr forum doesn't work. Also the chumby app opens up flickr but doesn't add it to the list of permitted apps. At least I can't get it to work. Putting pix on my (chum) dash is my favorite use!
Alan