Topic: Facebook widget

Forgive me if I've missed a thread. I can't get Facebook to authenticate. I created a test acct but still no go. Anyone know why?

Re: Facebook widget

Same here
Neither Facebook news nor photos widgets work

We're looking into it - it was completely restored, but we need to see if something might have broken since then.

These seem to be working - what behaviors are you seeing?

5 (edited by adam 2014-08-18 13:03:47)

gordonmd and nilsa -

Thanks for the report.

I would like to help but have not been able to reproduce authentication failure. If you could provide additional information that would be helpful.

At what step of authentication do you experience failure?

On facebook.com?
(When you enter your auth code at https://www.facebook.com/device.)

Or on chumby.com/your device?
(When we verify that your auth code has been successfully entered.)

And wherever you experience failure, is an error message displayed?

I have the same issue, i have the sony dash and the chumby facebook photo app installed on it, its worked for YEARS fine, then i had an issue with my facebook account and had to remove all the authorized devices.  i have been able to re-add all the devices that i use except the chumby app to my sony dash. on sony's side, i removed the app from my page, and then re-added it, when i go to authorize my account, i goto the facebook.com/device page and put in the code, it accepts it, with the following reply: "Connect your Device with Facebook
You have successfully connected your device with Facebook! You may now return to your device." when i go back to sony's dash page and click done i get waiting for authorization for a second, then it says Verification Error and retry. i have retried about 20 times to the same result over multiple days.  is there any way to get this to work?

Sorry, can't help you with dash issues - we've made updates to the Chumby systems related to Facebook, however that would not affect the dash versions, which we do not have the power to fix.

Having said that, we expect a bit of a rough ride with the Facebook functionality over the next few months.  Facebook is deprecating the API that the Chumby systems currently use, and many of the features we use are not supported in the new API.  We're working on designing a new set of Facebook widgets and services moving forward, however it's very likely they will be less featureful given the new limitations.

Hopefully with chumby taking over the dash, this can now be fixed?

Duane wrote:

Sorry, can't help you with dash issues - we've made updates to the Chumby systems related to Facebook, however that would not affect the dash versions, which we do not have the power to fix.

Having said that, we expect a bit of a rough ride with the Facebook functionality over the next few months.  Facebook is deprecating the API that the Chumby systems currently use, and many of the features we use are not supported in the new API.  We're working on designing a new set of Facebook widgets and services moving forward, however it's very likely they will be less featureful given the new limitations.

Unlikely at this point - Facebook has made it nearly impossible for third party applications to have any meaningful access to the data, in favor of pushing people to use their official apps.

We submitted Facebook widgets for review several times and were rejected, so we're no longer investing any effort in development of anything related to Facebook.

Sorry about that.

Would you object to users petitioning facebook and telling them everyone with a chumby is using it as a secondary device along with their web app?  Maybe if enough people write them they would reconsider? and thankyoou again!