Topic: iPod nano g3

I received my Chumby lastnight and tried connecting my nano g3 but Chumby kept on saying that it could not find it? Tried rebooting with cable connected but same thing. Is the nano g3 compatible?

Re: iPod nano g3

Not yet. Sadly, Apple decided to change their database format for the newest iPods, and the software is going to take a while to catch up. I believe there's support for the newer iPods (experimentally) in the newest libgpod, but not in libipod that Chumby currently uses. These changes will need to be ported in order to solve this issue.

So, just for clarification, the following devices are not supported: iPod Nano G3, iPod Classic, iPod touch or iPhone.

My IPod Nano 3g (with Video) works fine with the Chumby.
I have used it multiple times.

"We will find a way, or we will make one."

Oh? Do you use the iPod with iTunes and does the Chumby read its database, or are you just talking about using it as a mass storage device? iPods that act as mass storage should still work, and manually scanning the weird folder layout and finding the MP3s you want to listen to should work, but I thought Apple changed the database format?

Perhaps it's only for iTunes 7 users or some other detail we're missing. Have any more information than that?

I use the Nano with Itunes 7.  I manually sync songs and such with Itunes.  I believe I do have it set to act as a mass storage device as well.  I had a Nano 1G, and the 3G works with the Chumby the exact same way.  Plug it in, click music, it brings up my playlists, etc.  I don't have to do anything weird for it to work.

"We will find a way, or we will make one."