Topic: Screen Worry

Hello, I've been testing out the chumby and I just joined the forums and I will begin to post some of the issues I have been seeing with my chumby. I am very impressed by it currently and I'm just voicing these issues as notes to further improve the device. My first notice is that yes the chumby screen gets hot and I know it isn't going to burst into flames but I have noticed that even now when it is off, if held at an angle around the center of the screen there is an oily-like color warble. My friend said the lcd may be leaking. Should I be concerned about this at all?

Re: Screen Worry

Your screen is not "leaking" - the rainbow effect is typically due to light phase interference from the thin films used for the touchscreen, very similar to the color effect from light bouncing between surfaces in soap bubbles.  It could also happen if some moisture gets behind the touchscreen film.

The heat is normal - the chumby has to get rid of the 2W of energy *somewhere*, and since the rest of the enclosure is pretty much an insulator, we use the screen as the heat sink.

Re: Screen Worry

Alright thank you, I figured it wasn't too big of a deal. Now if only chumby could cook burgers as good as the PS3...