Topic: Spring Cleaning

I have a lot of old CD's laying around and decided it was time to start getting rid of old software. I was surprised at what i had found stashed! Old Windows 3.1 and 95 programs abound! DOS too! I am not sure why I kept old dial up service CD's but they were there. I did find the disc that had some digital pictures on it from my grandson's birth which I was not sure I still had. All in all it was fun to see some of the programs that I had accumulated. I now have to go through some Zip disks and Syquest disks to see what gems are hiding on there! I hope the drives are still operational. ;-)

Re: Spring Cleaning

I have a good sized library of old software. OSes: DOS 3.something, windows 3.11 for workgroups, Windows95 through the present,  a bunch of different linux and BSD distros, etc.  I have software specific to most of those OSes. I also have stuff for Palm pilots, pocketPCs, Android, hacking CVS one time use video cameras, etc. Add in my personal files and I am north of 3 TB. Small change for some but still respectable. 

Funny thing about the Windows 3.11 for workgroups, it came on a bunch of 3.5 inch floppy discs. I copied all the files from all the floppies into one folder and ran the install and it worked just fine. Had it running in a virtualbox instance up until a few months ago.

Syquest was the best! I loved the sound the ezflyer made when the discs spun up. 230 MB at the time (ZIP was at 100 MB) was huge and it was hard drive based instead of floppy drive based like ZIP.

http://www.oldversion.com/ is a great place to find old software you thought was long gone.

The old digital pictures should look fine on a computer/tablet screen but just don't try to print them to any size.  ;-)

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

3 (edited by infocastme 2014-06-25 21:29:06)

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Syquest was the best! I loved the sound the ezflyer made when the discs spun up. 230 MB at the time (ZIP was at 100 MB) was huge and it was hard drive based instead of floppy drive based like ZIP.

Yeah! I am looking forward to revving it up again.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

http://www.oldversion.com/ is a great place to find old software you thought was long gone.

That is why I am not too concerned about getting rid of the old software. You can find almost anything on the web anymore.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

The old digital pictures should look fine on a computer/tablet screen but just don't try to print them to any size.  ;-)

The pics are 512x480. I had the first Nikon CoolPix. It was actually a PCMCIA card that took pictures! I thought it was the greatest thing to take the picture of my grandson's birth and email it a few minutes later. That is to people who had email!

"The 0.3 megapixel Coolpix 100 was announced in 1996, being Nikon's first consumer digital camera. According to a product review in PC Pro magazine, the camera cost almost $1000 in October 1997."

Coolpix 100 main features:

PC Card-type Digital Camera
1/3-in. 330,000-pixel CCD (image size: 512 x 480 pixels)
Nikon 6.2mm f/4 lens (35mm [135] format equiv. to 52mm)
Internal 1MB memory; Type II PC card ATA interface
Four LR6 (AA-size alkaline [L40]), Ni-MH or NiCd batteries
Built-in flash
coolpix

coolpix2

Info and pics from http://www.nikonweb.com/coolpix100/

I had a Mustek 640 x 480 digital camera. Don't remember the year. The pics weren't too terrible if taken in a bright room. It went through batteries at a frighteningly fast rate. I think I got about 6 pictures per charge (4 AA rechargables).

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

I have a good sized library of old software.

I cleaned most of mine out a couple of years ago.  Filled up two "contractor bags" with CDs, DVDs, floppies.  I'm pretty sure I don't need the InfoMagic RedHat 4.1 CD box set (5 CDs) any more...  I kept the SunOS 4.1.1_U3 media though :-)

I also dumped most of my old hardware.  I still have my old Sharp Zaurus SL5500.  Also a Psion 5MX.  I can't find the Psion 3A so I must have dumped that.  An old Progear tablet.  Oh, the Toshiba Libretto; almost forgot about that :-)

And, of course, my BBC Micro :-)

I got rid of all the hard media years ago. Everything exists on my collection of hard drives.most of my old hardware has gone to the big recycler in the sky.